Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Radiometric Dating of fossils (Read 26834 times)
Volcano Girl

Geologist

Re: Radiometric Dating of fossils
Reply #30 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 3:23pm

GoodScienceForYou wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 12:46pm:
Volcano Girl wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 9:39am:
Thanks for bringing this thread up to the top.  At some point i'm going to go through it and pick on the main problems and make sure anyone that reads the reply will have an accurate understanding of how this works.

You do not understand what pure logic and reason is. It has been taught out of you.
You need to take back your mind from those you gave it too. All beliefs are bad. I have not found any human beliefs to be valid. Beliefs destroy the credibility in all scientists who have them. You cannot be rational, responsible and honest if you belief in things that have no absolute, irrefutable evidence. Don't you know that?

I think your HEMG is getting in the way of things a little here, especially since you don't know what i do or don't believe and what my education has been like.  Esepcially since not only has there been a gap between your time in education and mine but mines taken place on a different continent.

And as for logic and reason being taught out of me that's just rubbish, if you weren't so blinkered to your strange brand of logic you might be able to appreciate that.  I have a BSc with honours in Geology, for which i needed to hone my reasoning skills and develop my objectiveness.  Because you do seem to be right about one thing, thats the fact that there is little room in science for subjectiveness or opinions, but that's the only thing you get right.  I am rational, as i'm being right now (i'm certainly not calling people stupid enmass) and as it happens my job resquires me to be a very responcible person.

My mind is my own, as is yours, however i'm not the one that needs to reclaim my mind.  I hope that you get to reclaim yours from the strange place you've managed to put it.

I'm sorry if i start to sneeze and cough, however i'm allergic to nonsense pseudoscience.

IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

The obvious isn't obvious
until it is obvious

United States
Reply #31 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 3:54pm

Volcano Girl wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 3:23pm:
GoodScienceForYou wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 12:46pm:
Volcano Girl wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 9:39am:
Thanks for bringing this thread up to the top.  At some point i'm going to go through it and pick on the main problems and make sure anyone that reads the reply will have an accurate understanding of how this works.

You do not understand what pure logic and reason is. It has been taught out of you.
You need to take back your mind from those you gave it too. All beliefs are bad. I have not found any human beliefs to be valid. Beliefs destroy the credibility in all scientists who have them. You cannot be rational, responsible and honest if you belief in things that have no absolute, irrefutable evidence. Don't you know that?

I think your HEMG is getting in the way of things a little here, especially since you don't know what i do or don't believe and what my education has been like.  Esepcially since not only has there been a gap between your time in education and mine but mines taken place on a different continent.

And as for logic and reason being taught out of me that's just rubbish, if you weren't so blinkered to your strange brand of logic you might be able to appreciate that.  I have a BSc with honours in Geology, for which i needed to hone my reasoning skills and develop my objectiveness.  Because you do seem to be right about one thing, thats the fact that there is little room in science for subjectiveness or opinions, but that's the only thing you get right.  I am rational, as i'm being right now (i'm certainly not calling people stupid enmass) and as it happens my job resquires me to be a very responcible person.

My mind is my own, as is yours, however i'm not the one that needs to reclaim my mind.  I hope that you get to reclaim yours from the strange place you've managed to put it.

If you think that radiometric dating is perfect and real, then you are delusional and have been taught out of pure logic.

If you were to die today, and fall into a watering hole as is a common way to get fossils.  In less than 1,000 years they would dig up your replacement fossil (no organic matter at all) and tell the world that they discovered the "volcanoithicus ramedous and upright human, showing that humans have been here longer than we thought" and date you as the same age as the ground you fell into.  Most likely your fossil would be dated at over 5 million years old.  It is utterly ridiculous to date fossils that have no carbon in them by this screwed up totally illogical method.

It is an utter logical fallacy to date fossils by the radiometric dating of the ground it fell in. This is why there are so many contradictory fossils that do not fit the belief, and are never discussed in class. This is why the data is forced and has a lot of egos and beliefs in it, not backed up by any form of science.

Yet, I'll be that you think this is valid?

"Putting your faith in humanity has historically not been a good concept. Why do you think it is "different" now?"
"Find the truth for yourself and don't succumb to indoctrination."
IP Logged

Volcano Girl

Geologist

Reply #32 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 4:09pm

GoodScienceForYou wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 3:54pm:
If you think that radiometric dating is perfect and real, then you are delusional and have been taught out of pure logic.

If you were to die today, and fall into a watering hole as is a common way to get fossils.  In less than 1,000 years they would dig up your replacement fossil (no organic matter at all) and tell the world that they discovered the "volcanoithicus ramedous and upright human, showing that humans have been here longer than we thought" and date you as the same age as the ground you fell into.  Most likely your fossil would be dated at over 5 million years old.  It is utterly ridiculous to date fossils that have no carbon in them by this screwed up totally illogical method.

It is an utter logical fallacy to date fossils by the radiometric dating of the ground it fell in. This is why there are so many contradictory fossils that do not fit the belief, and are never discussed in class. This is why the data is forced and has a lot of egos and beliefs in it, not backed up by any form of science.

The logical fallacy is yours, as is the epic fail.

I will deal with this more fully when i've got the time.

I'm sorry if i start to sneeze and cough, however i'm allergic to nonsense pseudoscience.

IP Logged

glowingape

wut?

Reply #33 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 4:26pm

GoodScienceForYou wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 1:23pm:
The study of genetics has nothing in common with some fantasy of any form of transitional creatures, evolution, nor fish that became human over some immense time.

Ohhhh... Genetics has nothing to evolution? Wow! Well, in that case let me introduce you to a awesome friend of mine, called Dictionary. Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

Main Entry: ge·net·ics
Pronunciation: \jə-ˈne-tiks\
Function: noun plural but singular in construction
Date: 1905

1 : a branch of biology that deals with the heredity and variation of organisms
2 : the genetic makeup and phenomena of an organism, type, group, or condition

— ge·net·i·cist \-ˈne-tə-sist\ noun

Quote:
There is absolutely no evidence for this taking place, because there is no evidence for this taking place.
It must really suck, that you never bothered to open a textbook for 1st or 2nd grade of school.

Quote:
Do you actually believe that fish or mice, great primates, or WTF, eventually evolved into humans, and what evidence do you use to justify such nonsense?
Mice evolved into humans? Unlikely, since they're on the completely different branch of the evolutionary ladder.

For instance, the rodentia ancestry: http://tolweb.org/Rodentia/15959 and the hominidae ancestry is here: http://tolweb.org/Hominidae/16299

If you want to trace the ancestry on the tree, just click the left arrow in the tree. I can't be bothered to copy it all here.

Quote:
Just answer the question.
Just did. You wouldn't mind asking the gazillion of questions, that me and other asked?

Quote:
Diamond are no longer carbon, they are diamonds.  Moron! ~ GSFY

Quote:
Photosynthesis is a carbon digesting process. ~ GSFY

IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

until it is obvious

United States
Reply #34 - Dec 31st, 2009 at 12:32am

Volcano Girl wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 4:09pm:
GoodScienceForYou wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 3:54pm:

The logical fallacy is yours, as is the epic fail.

I will deal with this more fully when i've got the time.

Some of these idiots will take samples from over 20 feet away and use those to date the fossil with.  This is an abortion of science.  It is not even science because it is only  a misuse of science and only uses improper assumptions.

It would be impossible for the ground to be the same age as the creature that died and was buried in "existing" sediment that had not even hardened yet.  Most ALL of the fossils are miss dated by these assumptions and bovine garbage.

"Putting your faith in humanity has historically not been a good concept. Why do you think it is "different" now?"
IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

until it is obvious

United States
Reply #35 - Mar 15th, 2010 at 1:43pm

Quote:
Well it's time to highlight some more bs I think.

GoodScienceForYou wrote on Nov 6th, 2009 at 9:29am:
There are a few scientists, like me who agree that radiometric dating is not real science.

Interesting. How do you define yourself as a scientist? I'd suggest that the minimum required to do so would be to have an article published in a scientific journal.  Peer review is one of the foundations of science so it's seems to be a pretty basic criteria.

I would probably stretch it slightly further though and suggest that to be given credibility the work must be cited by at least one other study also published in the peer reviewed literature.

We can discuss the merits of various scientific publications based on impact factor should you wish.

I make my living practicing science in empirical ways.  I do not need validation from people less educated and less intelligent than me.  That is a human weakness to "belong" and is the cause of much ignorance being shared.

Quote:
  Using ancient rocks (mostly uranium) and the decay of those is really an unknown, because the original bones are not there.

Mostly uranium? What about pottasium/argon and rubidium/strontium? How about thorium/lead?

This is another sidestepping sideways logic to throw the readers off the real issues.  Not only are these dating methods based on assumptions, these idiots assume the bones are the same ages as the "dirt" that replaced these bones.  Only an idiot accepts assumptions as being "reality" in science. [/quote]

Quote:
  There is no carbon no c-14 to date which is a bit more accurate.

More accurate? Howso? C14 has a half life, if memory serves, of around 6000 years. I could go and look up the figure. Infact, I will. Turns out to be 5730 years.

This means that C14 dating is unlikely to be useful beyond 60 thousand years simply because the quantity of C14 in the sample will have reduced to levels that are too low.

Compare this to the other dating methods I mentioned, with half lives measured up to billions of years. A 1% error over a billion years is still going to leave an error of 10 Million years, a 2% error over 100K years is going to give a margin for error of 2000 yeras?

So which is more accurate? In absolute terms it's clearly C14. In relative terms, C14 dating would be twice as inaccurate. Now I picked those figures out of thin air to make a point. The point being that you never mentioned relative or absolute accuracy and so your statement is worthless. Dates given by dating methods are given a margin for error based on confidence levels.

Carbon dating is more accurate, because it is only used tomeasuere actual remaining tissue.   They do not need to date the "dirt" around a sample and can date the bones directly because there are still bones to date.  This is very simple to understand, but then you are not capable of understanding, because you are a believer in things that have no scientific basis.    [/quote]

Quote:
But using radio metric dating on the minerals around an old fossil is a very poor use of assumptions.  There is no way that the minerals around a fossil are the same age as the fossil.

So you have no understanding of sedimentary vs igneous or metamorphic rock?  Dating sedimentary rock is of course worthless for determining the age of the deposition, since all you do is find the age of the particular matter.

However, when rock is molten its "radiometric clock" is reset, meaning that it is entirely possible to date those rocks. So, find a layer of sedimentary rock containing a fossil, date the igneous rock above and below it, and you set both an upper and lower bound for the age of the depostion sandwiched in between. Does it get you an absolute date of deposition? Of course not, but then nobody claimed it did. It does set upper and lower bounds though, which is all that is really needed.

There have been footsteps of modern people walking that was dated at 3.4 million years, because someone walking with a child stepped in soft lava.   There are upright, modern looking, walking humans being dated at 6.1 million years by this method.  Most of the data is worthless if you allow this concept in your mind.  All this does is screw up the data. [/quote]

Quote:
  This is not real science.   Real science does no rely on assumptions of a hypothesis on atomic theory.

Hypothesis on atomic theory? You mean, err, atomic theory? Why mention hypothesis at all? On what grounds to you describe it as not real science?

On the grounds that you and I cannot verify this as accurate, no matter how you try.   It is totally based on poor assumptions of some idea of time and of stability in the universe.  At 4.7 billion years, you are about as accurate as .0000026 in the dating, because the calibration is done with C-14 and historical data.  It is basically, nonsense and not science. [/quote]

Quote:
Basically the dating of fossils that have no remaining organic materials at all is a worthless pursuit.  It is an utter logical fallacy to think that the "dirt" around a replacement fossil is the same age as the original bones.

Which is why the "dirt" around the fossils is not dated to determine the age of the fossil. Lucky that, ain't it.

Quote:
Keep in mind that I came to my own conclusions long before I read any of these other people's works.

I get the distinct impression that you came to your own conclusions long before you were educated about any aspect of science and have since put up the shutters.

Actually, I came to my conclusions after keeping an open mind and keeping a huge distance on idiotic people who just accept things on faith and belief as you do.

If you were a real scientist, you would have the same conclusions, but you are indoctrinated and do not have the capacity to think for yourself. [/quote]

Quote:
It is just a total logical fallacy that 1/ the methods are 100% accurate and 2/ dating the minerals around a petrified (replacement or recrystallization fossil) fossil is even logical at all.  What does the dirt have in common with the original bone?

A fallacy that dating methods are 100% accurate? I agree. Good that this is only your straw man and not what the science actually says, isn't it.

I'm noticing a pattern, you love to argue against straw men. Why don't you dissect one of those papers. Indeed I have one here for you, no need to go and find one.

"Radiocarbon calibration curve spanning 0 to 50,000 years BP based on paired 230Th/234U/238U and 14C dates on pristine corals"

Article published by "Richard G. Fairbanksa, b, Corresponding Author Contact Information, E-mail The Corresponding Author, Richard A. Mortlocka, Tzu-Chien Chiua, b, Li Caoa, b, Alexey Kaplana, Thomas P. Guildersonc, d, Todd W. Fairbankse, Arthur L. Bloomf, Pieter M. Grootesg and Marie-Josée Nadeaug"

This particular paper can be found at http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6VBC-4GFV5WR-2&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1104303442&_rerunOrigin=scholar.google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=0efac926fae0c5e855e0d0997f253dab

Now you need a subscription to be able to read this, but I'm sure that a man such as yourself, a real scientist, will have access to scientific journals. Indeed if you have read 200,000 papers it is a reasonable conclusion that you have access to essentially all science journals currently available.

of course if you don't I can find you another article that does not require a subscription. This one seems perfect though, since it covers calibration curves, multiple independent means of calibrating radiometric dating.

This method is the same stuff just more refined.  They take about 10,000 years of known data and project that out as if it was real. There is no way to know the conditions that created that matter, or if volcanic ash and lava is the same as it is today.  You think about this for a while.

This idea that these pseudo scientists take liberties and use faith and belief to project on this.

There is no way the dirt around a replacement fossil is the same age as the original bones.  It is an utter logical fallacy.

IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

until it is obvious

United States
Reply #36 - May 21st, 2010 at 10:29pm

prolescum wrote on Nov 7th, 2009 at 5:57am:
I haven't had the time to check out your links, but from my understanding, radiometric dating is not just dating carbon-14 (radiocarbon dating), but encompasses a gamut of methods including Uranium-lead dating, Samarium-neodymium dating, Potassium-argon dating methods amongst many others. I also understand that the further back in time you wish to date, the harder it is due to the length of time isotopes are available (ie they degrade), but the by-products of the decay are then used.
Administrator, is this the correct understanding of the methodology you dispute?
Without having checked your links, can you please articulate why you think this method is faulty, and on what basis you dispute the methods used?
Thanks.

These moron evotards all say the same thing, like I discuss anything to do with carbon dating.  Carbon dating is impossible on fossils that are millions of years old or the ones they want to believe are millions of years old.  My video discribes completely the process of how "replacement" fossils are dated.

IP Logged

Phil Vedda
YaBB Newbies

Seek Truth!

Reply #37 - Dec 12th, 2010 at 1:59pm

The earth is very very old. Its the age that is young.

IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

until it is obvious

United States
Reply #38 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 8:56am

Try to imagine how it was to try and come up with any methods to date any object.

These people who were the pioneers of radiometric dating realized that they must use historical data in order to find the date with any accuracy.

In the beginning these were honest people with an honest quest and they followed the real scientific methods.

I really don't think they would like to see what has happened with their hard work to validate this system of dating. They did all they could to make this a real science and now we have unsubstantiated assumptions running the show.

Until we have much better ways to date fossils, or anything, we have to take all this radiometric dating with a huge "grain of salt"..   That means to realize that it is inaccurate, because it cannot be verified against anything.

Imagine you are on a dark night, black, no moon, and you are standing at the end of a crooked 47 mile road. You only have a small flashlight that can extend its light beam only 6 inches. 

How much do you know about the road when you only have 6 inches that you can see?  The rest is a guess base on what you can see. 

With old time dating methods they compared against tree rings, and historical data to form an foundation for "carbon 14" dating.  This gave the ability to make adjustments and have some level of calibration. Without verifiable calibration on actually documented data, there is no radiometric dating.

These were real scientists and what we have today is a joke.  The whole of this is now extended beyond any reasonable accuracy.  They have no clue if the current methods are accurate at all, but they assume they are.

There is absolutely NO WAY to verify or calibrate using the latest metering methods.

Until we have space travel and can check on the conditions of matter far away from us that we can see by the light rays and the Doppler shift and actually go there and date from those astrophysical objects, we are in the dark ages of radiometric dating.

Without calibration points of at least 100 million years of verifiable data, there is no accuracy at all.

I calculated the degree of accuracy we have now at .0000026  plausibility of any accuracy. That is not good.
I would never make a bet with those odds.

Assumptions are not scientifically verifiable data.

If this "science" were to be in a court trial to determine the validity of this method it would not be a good thing.

Here is a mock up of a trial:

Lawyer:   "Do you have any historical or physical evidence/data to use to calibrate beyond 10,000 years"

"Science": "No"

Lawyer: "What method do you use to determine if this method is accurate to 4.7 Billion years?"

"Science":  "Assumption"

Lawyer:  "Does that mean you believe this is accurate and that is why you  use it?"

Science:  "Yes."

Lawyer:  "Do you actually have any data to base this assumption on?"

Science:  "No."

IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

until it is obvious

United States
Reply #39 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 8:45am

Scientists are so afraid of the truth, that they will avoid any possible "evidence" that is contrary.

I have seen this for over 42 years.  When I first studied this crap religious belief of Evodelusionism, I discovered all the logical fallacies and how people were "obviously" forcing their beliefs on evidence.

I figured that this crap would run its course and be dropped like the "turd" that it is.  Instead they have found even more ways to keep all form of truth out of science and keep science in the dark ages of "politically controlled" religious beliefs in mythological ideology.

I had faith in scientists.  This was when I was 16 years old.  I had not fully realized how stupid people can be and how easily they give up their natural need for wanting the truth.

It is much safer to just stuff your brain in a "closet" of emotionally driven human garbage and "conform", than to actually become a real objective scientist.

If you don't start to listen to the evidence, you  will never be a scientist.  This religious nonsense of Evodelusionism has retarded biology long enough.

This hiding of data, from the public has been going on for a long time.  I have watched this for 42 years.

I find that students do not know all of the "findings" of fossils that negate this belief in magical "evolution".  Students don't even know this data exists.

As soon as some paleontologist find data that is opposite to the belief it disappears.  Now days you  have to be fast to catch it.  Paleontologists don't realize that these new findings are being disregarded as fast as they show up and it has been that way for as long as I have studied this.

The DNA shows clearly that there is no evolution. There is only a constant reduction in genetic coding; gene function loss, the real mutations cause defects in the genome known as genetic diseases.

All of the oldest fossils are far more elaborate and more complex that the creatures that have "evolved" and  speciated into degraded versions of the original creatures.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print