Send Topic Print
'Real' Science (Read 11804 times)
Volcano Girl

Geologist

Re: 'Real' Science
Reply #15 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 2:51am

GoodScienceForYou wrote on Dec 28th, 2009 at 5:26pm:
Volcano Girl wrote on Dec 28th, 2009 at 3:21pm:
[quote author=72777E7A7D130 link=1262038147/2#2 date=1262038441]3) Ummmm......no, there is not truth seeking in science.  We leave that to religion and philosophy.  Science mearly seems to provide us with an explanation/understanding of how the world and universe works.

Thank you for pointing out that you would accept b u l l S h i t over truth any day.

If you are not seeking to find the truth in science, then you are only seeking to perpetuate your f**king beliefs.

So you've just demonstrated your failure to understand what science is about.  Science seeks to determine an objective way of explaining what is happening around us.  Scientists come up with a hypothesis, they test it and get results, they may refine their hypothesis and test it again, this is repeated ad nauseum until we have something that seems to work adequatly.  Up until we find something new that breaks the previous model, also it has to survive peer review, this is an additional 'testing' phase.

It's also why science works on the falsification thing, if something can be falsified then it can be tested, and when it gets falsified then we know we were wrong and we will happily move on.

If i want the 'truth' in all it's mystical glory i'll goto a church or a philosopher or the like.  I won't be picking up a scientific textbook.

I'm sorry if i start to sneeze and cough, however i'm allergic to nonsense pseudoscience.

IP Logged

Simianus
YaBB Newbies

Seek Truth!

Reply #16 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 7:16pm

Volcano Girl wrote on Dec 29th, 2009 at 2:51am:
[quote author=57525B5F58360 link=1262038147/8#8 date=1262046393][quote author=40797A7577787949517F647A160 link=1262038147/4#4 date=1262038863][quote author=72777E7A7D130 link=1262038147/2#2 date=1262038441]
If i want the 'truth' in all it's mystical glory i'll goto a church or a philosopher or the like.  I won't be picking up a scientific textbook.

I love this. Smiley

In philosophy we were put in our place by being told that IF a philosophical argument passes the test (ie; can't be reasonably disproven) it becomes science. Debate and philosophy is all really just BS, and their only value is in the process of learning from the the process. If the process is broken, it's utterly useless.

IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

The obvious isn't obvious
until it is obvious

United States
Reply #17 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 12:30am

glowingape wrote on Dec 28th, 2009 at 5:29pm:
If you are not seeking to find the truth in science, then you are only seeking to perpetuate your f**king beliefs.
And the "truth" you're talking about is...

In every event, action, reaction of any matter or energy, organic or not, there is an absolute truth as to the causes and the results.  There is no magic in life only what actually takes place according to cause and effect.

It is a human weakness for people to fantasize about causes and effects based on beliefs.   When you have mass insanity it is called "group think with magical and mystical events".

This is why Evodelusionism and many isms are just fantasy.

"Putting your faith in humanity has historically not been a good concept. Why do you think it is "different" now?"
"Find the truth for yourself and don't succumb to indoctrination."
IP Logged

glowingape

wut?

Reply #18 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 12:53am

GoodScienceForYou wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 12:30am:

In every event, action, reaction of any matter or energy, organic or not, there is an absolute truth as to the causes and the results.
You never bothered to read any other post before writing a reply to this one, have you? Do you want me to count the number of times, that you were told, that science never deals with absolutes? The science says "It's high probability, that what we predict MAY happen, but it's possible, that it won't. And if it doesn't, the laws and theories that suggested predictions should and are changed.

Quote:
Diamond are no longer carbon, they are diamonds.  Moron! ~ GSFY

Quote:
Photosynthesis is a carbon digesting process. ~ GSFY

IP Logged

glowingape

wut?

Reply #19 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 12:59am

Quote:
The science says "It's high probability, that what we predict MAY happen, but it's possible, that it won't. And if it doesn't, the laws and theories that suggested predictions should and are changed.

Crap. That should read:
The science says "It's high probability, that what we predict MAY happen, but it's possible, that it won't. And if it doesn't, the laws and theories that suggested this prediction should be and are changed with new evidence."

Oh, and thanks for removing post editing, GSFY. Really appreciate it.

Quote:

Quote:

IP Logged

Simianus
YaBB Newbies

Seek Truth!

Reply #20 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 1:05am

Quote:
Oh, and thanks for removing post editing, GSFY. Really appreciate it.

It's some kind of psychological control issue, absolutely.

IP Logged

prolescum

LoLtering for the sake
of it

Reply #21 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 2:29am

GoodScienceForYou wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 12:30am:

In every event, action, reaction of any matter or energy, organic or not, there is an absolute truth as to the causes and the results.  There is no magic in life only what actually takes place according to cause and effect.

Dude, why the Jim Arjuna do you never read anything on this forum? ONLY SITH TALK IN ABSOLUTES!
The only absolute here is that you are demonstrably quite mental.
Quote:
It is a human weakness for people to fantasize about causes and effects based on beliefs. 

Why do you persist in spamming the same s h i t again and again regardless of how retarded and incorrect it is?
Quote:
When you have mass insanity it is called "group think with magical and mystical events".

Wrong. You fail psychology too. Unsurprisingly.

Quote:
This is why Evodelusionism and many isms are just fantasy.

I'm so glad you are finally admitting that Evodelusionism is a made up. Must be the combination of IQ and sane that
helped you out-Einstein this frog.

Here, have an attachment.

screenshot3.png (11 KB | 150 )
screenshot3.png

http://dictionary.reference.com/

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/

http://www.merriam-webster.com/
IP Logged

glowingape

wut?

Reply #22 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 2:38am

prolescum wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 2:29am:
*snerk* I've just spitted out my cocoa Shocked

Quote:

Quote:

IP Logged

prolescum

LoLtering for the sake
of it

Reply #23 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 2:54am

glowingape wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 2:38am:
prolescum wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 2:29am:
*snerk* I've just spitted out my cocoa Shocked

Soz...
Let me compensate you by giving you some Real ScienceTM

screenshot3_001.png (196 KB | 144 )
screenshot3_001.png

http://dictionary.reference.com/

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/

http://www.merriam-webster.com/
IP Logged

Volcano Girl

Geologist

Reply #24 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 3:28am

Simianus wrote on Dec 29th, 2009 at 7:16pm:
Volcano Girl wrote on Dec 29th, 2009 at 2:51am:
[quote author=57525B5F58360 link=1262038147/8#8 date=1262046393][quote author=40797A7577787949517F647A160 link=1262038147/4#4 date=1262038863][quote author=72777E7A7D130 link=1262038147/2#2 date=1262038441]

I love this. Smiley

In philosophy we were put in our place by being told that IF a philosophical argument passes the test (ie; can't be reasonably disproven) it becomes science. Debate and philosophy is all really just BS, and their only value is in the process of learning from the the process. If the process is broken, it's utterly useless.

I don't know enough about philosphy to really comment on it, but my limited knowledge is enough to know that it's not about getting the same sort of results as science.  I also think philosophy is a very worthwhile subject in it's own right, and i dable in some armchair philosophy myself, it's just that i know our host doesn't get what science is about.

I'm sorry if i start to sneeze and cough, however i'm allergic to nonsense pseudoscience.

IP Logged

Volcano Girl

Geologist

Reply #25 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 3:47am

I've just finished perusing the latest batch of posts on this thread and a thought occured to me.

Does GSFY understand that the world and the universe at large works the way it does, and that we can't that, and science is our way of understanding what's going on.  I'll go back to my example from my OP as it's a different part of science from the one he has problems with.

The continents move, we have areas where they are coliding and areas where they are seperating, we've got certain type of material being produced at the seperation points and different types being produced at the convergence points.  There are even some place where there is neither moving away from or moving towards, of these some have no movement and others have movement which results in varying levels of ground movment.  These things are inescapable because they happen, and as much as it makes me feel like a dirty flat earthing geocentrist our host would probably say that this is absolute proof.  Put all of these observations together, throw in the work done in the 60's to establish sea floor spreading and et vola!!!  You have the Theory of Plate Tectonics which does to Geology what the Theory of Evolution does for Biology.

Now, i'm going to leave evolutionary theory in this thread to those that are more knowledgable about it than myself and i will focus on Plate Tectonics and other Geological stuff.  So please, delusionism does plate tectonics come under, the forum Geologist would love to know.

Hmmm....prolescum....hmmmm.......hehehe.....Volcano points 10 you have...yes...heh...heheh.......

IP Logged

glowingape

wut?

Reply #26 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 3:54am

Volcano Girl wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 3:47am:
Does GSFY understand
Nope. Whatever subject you're trying to tackle is "nope", specially if it's related to science.

He's proving and re-proving that again, again, again and again...

Quote:

Quote:

IP Logged

Volcano Girl

Geologist

Reply #27 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 4:21am

glowingape wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 3:54am:
Volcano Girl wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 3:47am:
Does GSFY understand
Nope. Whatever subject you're trying to tackle is "nope", specially if it's related to science.

He's proving and re-proving that again, again, again and again...

I know, but i can't help being all hopeful and optimistic about it

IP Logged

Simianus
YaBB Newbies

Seek Truth!

Reply #28 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 4:30am

Heh. I understand what you mean. I found that crazier bits of philosophy and particularly "Logic" encroach on the territories of mathematics and computer science, where language and argument is reduced to symbols representing an occasionally (ridiculously) complex formula. Interesting (but arguably not very useful in real life.) I'd think that the majority philosophical theory might aspire to, but will never grow up to sciencehood. I'm really at a disadvantage because I'm lacking in any meaningful background in the advanced sciences, and am probably not very useful in comparing the two; although - your post makes me wonder if scientists dip into philosophy when questioning and exploring new avenues of study, or in finding an hypothesis if you will, and the follow-up testing bits are entirely subject to evaluation by scientific principle.  The sort of unproven conjecture preceding scientific study. I'm making this up as I go along, so I really hope it makes sense.  If not, I think I'll blame the hour and my lack of sleep - definitely why I'll need to spell check this a couple times before submitting... Wink

IP Logged

Volcano Girl

Geologist

Reply #29 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 5:48am

Simianus wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 4:30am:
Heh. I understand what you mean. I found that crazier bits of philosophy and particularly "Logic" encroach on the territories of mathematics and computer science, where language and argument is reduced to symbols representing an occasionally (ridiculously) complex formula. Interesting (but arguably not very useful in real life.) I'd think that the majority philosophical theory might aspire to, but will never grow up to sciencehood. I'm really at a disadvantage because I'm lacking in any meaningful background in the advanced sciences, and am probably not very useful in comparing the two; although - your post makes me wonder if scientists dip into philosophy when questioning and exploring new avenues of study, or in finding an hypothesis if you will, and the follow-up testing bits are entirely subject to evaluation by scientific principle.  The sort of unproven conjecture preceding scientific study. I'm making this up as I go along, so I really hope it makes sense.  If not, I think I'll blame the hour and my lack of sleep - definitely why I'll need to spell check this a couple times before submitting... Wink

Well there is the philosophy of science, thats more concerned with paradigm shifts and the like, if your interested read up on Khun and Popper.  I'm not sure which one came out on top so to speak, i only looked into it a little.

But there's also the fact that science has it's roots in philosophy, back with the ancient greeks.  Over the centuries it adapeted and changed as people got into alchemy and the like.  Then along came Galileo and he practically invented the scientific method, i'm not sure if it got tweeked along the way to what we have now but he is essentially the grandaddy of modern science.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print