Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
There is no such thing as random mutations in genetics. (Read 37588 times)
GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

The obvious isn't obvious
until it is obvious

United States
Re: There is no such thing as random mutations in genetics.
Reply #105 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 7:17am

RealScienceForMe wrote on Feb 12th, 2010 at 4:33am:
GoodScienceForYou wrote on Feb 11th, 2010 at 7:56pm:
\I want you to stop posting that ridiculous site and tell me what you consider to be evidence? List it or go one at a time.

Ok, let's start simple. What alternative explanation can you give for the observed commonalities among organisms that exist today? I obviously can't list all of those commonalities, as there are far too many and to do so accurately would require far too much detail... but here's a small example: cats, dogs, and humans (and probably many other animals, but I don't have time to research a full list) all have hind legs where the upper (thigh) has one bone, the femur, and the lower (calf) has two bones, the tibia and the fibula, and a bone over the knee, the patella.

Comparative morphology, such as the very small and specific example above, applied to the entire kingdom of life, would allow us to construct a branching tree, with organisms that are more similar being closer together, and animals that are more varied being further apart.

How else would you explain this pattern? What other cause would give this result?

All you need is one utterly plausible alternative to destroy the individual pieces of this nonsense.   Most of the time these alternatives are far more logical and follow the evidence much better.  Evodelusionists only accept one plausibility because of the belief shoved into their heads.   There is still no evidence showing how 1/ life got here. 2/ how these creatures appeared. 3/ What caused the mass of organic diversity.  There is no evidence for this on this planet.

You do not need any alternative for this question, if the one you have leads to no answers or only religious fantasy.  The need to know can be the downfall of the process to find out.  It fosters religious, magicical and mystical things like "evolution".
This is the CAUSE of most religions. Don't you know that?
It is human weakness to insist on answers when there are none.  If they don't have any way to know, they will make them up.   There are NO scientific answers to how life has progressed or where these ORIGINAL or parent of the species lineage came from.  This is why any speculation is not science.  It is religious.

In order for a creature to walk and to walk on this earth they need the flexibility in the lower legs to take shock and twist, to move about.  This has nothing in common with the idea that fish came out of water and eventually became human over some immense time as they supposedly "evolved" from one genus to the next; the foundational definition of evolution and the final premise of the religious concept.

Commonalty amongst creatures is to be expected, since there are only so many proteans, and only so many, a very small and finite number of elements and molecules to use as parts of all creatures. This idea says that because all vertebrates have bones we all evolved from each other. This is the ridiculous logic.  There is one ridiculous hypothesis that because we share DNA constructs that proves we evolved from fish and mice.  Are you understanding, just how moronic that is?  You must first believe in this crap religious stuff, in order to accept such nonsense.

There are only so many ways to construct muscle tissue, for example, that responds to signals from the brain and contract to move  the creatures around.  That has nothing to do with any evolution.

"Comparative morphology" is not science. There is no way to test any of this to see if it is fact.  So, this is based solely on OPINION.

I do not allow opinions to be considered as evidence.  If you do you are not a guardian over your mind. Humans are weak and stupid for the most part, relatively speaking. So to trust them with your mind and accept all of there nonsense theories,  I mean religous concepts as if they are science shows your weakness, and trusting of humanity.

Humanity has a horrible reputation for war, hate, class systems, creating more and more distinctions and differences between nations and religions, (more logical reasons to kill each other). That is what they do, to make more problems by following human nature into a pit of ignorance.  Peace, love and understanding is not achieved by creating separation and using religious nonsense, like Evodelusionism.

Opinions are like weak humans. Everybody has them, but only crap comes out.  There is no such thing as an expert in "evolutionary morphology" because it is just crap from weak humans and their dumb ass beliefs.

Opinions from experts is NEVER considered as evidence to a seeker of the truth in any matter. 

"Putting your faith in humanity has historically not been a good concept. Why do you think it is "different" now?"
"Find the truth for yourself and don't succumb to indoctrination."
IP Logged

RealScienceForMe
YaBB Newbies

Seek Truth!

Reply #106 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 5:19pm

GoodScienceForYou wrote on Feb 12th, 2010 at 7:17am:
All you need is one utterly plausible alternative to destroy the individual pieces of this nonsense.

Ok... so what is that alternative? All that crap you just wrote, and you didn't give one. Maybe it's because you don't have one?

"A denial of evolution - however motivated - is a denial of evidence, a retreat from reason to ignorance." - Dr. Tim D. White

IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

until it is obvious

United States
Reply #107 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 6:28pm

RealScienceForMe wrote on Feb 12th, 2010 at 5:19pm:
GoodScienceForYou wrote on Feb 12th, 2010 at 7:17am:
All you need is one utterly plausible alternative to destroy the individual pieces of this nonsense.

Ok... so what is that alternative? All that crap you just wrote, and you didn't give one. Maybe it's because you don't have one?

The only thing shown in evidence is that creatures are programmed to survive as the same creatures.

There is no such thing as evolution.  All the evidence we have only show survival until extinction.

That is all we really know.

"Putting your faith in humanity has historically not been a good concept. Why do you think it is "different" now?"
IP Logged

MajorAtheist

Seek Truth!

Reply #108 - Feb 13th, 2010 at 12:28pm

GoodScienceForYou wrote on Feb 5th, 2010 at 9:11am:
prolescum wrote on Feb 5th, 2010 at 6:35am:
GoodScienceForYou wrote on Feb 4th, 2010 at 11:55pm:
Like I said, when you can find the cause, you will see it is the result of a cause.  It can be no other way.

Rinse and repeat, that'll get through to them...

Quote:
I am not stubborn just not gullible to believe people who have extremely limited awareness.

You're not stubborn, you're quite ignorant.

Quote:
When you are outside of yourself completely objective, then you can see the cause of everything.

So you are the only person in the entire world without a subjective view? I don't fvcking think so.
You can see the cause of everything? Why am I insulting you, then? Nope, it's not because I'm jealous of your false claims of a high IQ, it's not because you've read either 20,000, 200,000 (or whatever figure you've found somewhere that refers to the amount of papers there are on a given subject) peer-reviewed papers (you haven't - this is obvious even to laymen), it's not because I'm delusional, it's not because I fear the things you preach.
You know what? I'll actually tell you.
It's because you're fvcking hilarious. I tried to speak to you when I first joined, gave you the benefit of the doubt, have given you ample chance to prove ANYTHING you say is correct since.
What can we garner from your hundreds of posts? You're totally ignorant of each subject you attempt to tackle. Every thread is full of refutes which you ignore and build strawmen to validate your ego. Pathetic, yet hilarious.

You can't insult me.  You don't even warrant my time.  I am using you for my book as an example of how stupid your beliefs are and how the belief is far more powerful than reality. 

Then please, please, please show me where I am wrong!!!!

I am starting to think that you can't, but willing to give you a chance!  Can you?

Prove that evolution is a religion, since we have proved it is not.
Prove that random is magical, when we clearly defined it as 'an outcome that is subjected to an array of physical forces; therefore making it unpredictabile.'

IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

until it is obvious

United States
Reply #109 - Feb 13th, 2010 at 11:12pm

There is no physical evidence that suggests evolution.

There is only evidence of creatures adapting to survive to a point, then going extinct.

There have never been any fish that evolved into anything. There is no evidence of it. There are religious believers in this but they have no physical evidence to back it.

All of the evidence only points to creatures wanting to survive as the same creatures. There is nothing else in any of the evidence.

IP Logged

MajorAtheist

Seek Truth!

Reply #110 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 6:34am

GoodScienceForYou wrote on Feb 13th, 2010 at 11:12pm:
There is no physical evidence that suggests evolution.

There is only evidence of creatures adapting to survive to a point, then going extinct.

There have never been any fish that evolved into anything. There is no evidence of it. There are religious believers in this but they have no physical evidence to back it.

All of the evidence only points to creatures wanting to survive as the same creatures. There is nothing else in any of the evidence.

Sorry the evidence states otherwise!

But for some strange reason you will not even attempt to prove any of the evidence wrong.  You tried!

IP Logged

Mac23
YaBB Newbies

Seek Truth!

Reply #111 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 9:31am

RealScienceForMe wrote on Feb 12th, 2010 at 4:20am:
Mac23 wrote on Feb 12th, 2010 at 3:05am:
And by doing so destroyed the foundation of atheism.

The "foundation" of atheism? There is no foundation. Atheism is simply the lack of a belief in a God.

This is a false statement, atheism is not only a lack of belief in a God or gods it also attempts to prove it, thus you have two lairs one demonstrates a blind faith in the non existence of the supernatural, the other claims to know or have evidence that the supernatural don't exist. Either version fails when confronted with Cause and Effect. Everything that Has a beginning MUST have a cause.

God does not have a beginning thus need not have a cause. It is actually very simple.

it devastates his belief that there is no god, meaning there is no ultimate cause.

Question for you: what caused God to exist?
This is a logical fallacy.

And no, sorry, I don't buy that special exemption you give to your God:

I'm sorry that you don't accept the premise or definition of God, perhaps you can explain infinite regression as to why that is more logical than one being that have existed forever. As the argument goes. Because we began to exist we must be caused by something or someone that did not begin to exist.

God did not create Himself and God was not created.

I was going to respond to all of your points individually, but it would be a waste of time. Here's the bottom line. Either:

1. Non-deterministic events can occur

or

2. Everything has existed forever, and there is no ultimate cause.

I'm personally leaning towards 1, because 2 sounds a little too much like the special exemption. While it appears to be true that everything in the natural world is governed by Cause and Effect, it appears that at the Planck scale, truly non-deterministic events can occur. I'm talking about quantum physics here. Such a random event would have been the origin of all matter an energy in the universe, and the cause of the Big Bang.
[/color]

Or 3.

Everything that begins to exist must have a cause.
Quantum physics is a rather speculative and theoretical in nature, almost impossible to prove anything there, and you would rather cling to the faint hope that a random event (not governed by any laws) could happen rather than face the obvious that stares in our faces that Cause and Effect is real? Very interesting.

But let's assume your argument is valid, and that there must have been an "Ultimate Cause": By what logic do you conclude which God it was that exists and was that "Ultimate Cause"? Where is the evidence from which to conclude that it is the Christian God, or the Islamic God, or some other God?

It is not relevant really to discuss what God at this point in the discussion.

Here's the kicker to all of this: It is a false argument to claim that evolution requires non-deterministic random events. Evolution works just fine with all genetic variations having a causal chain.

Here's the kicker to your comment, we are not discussing evolution, just that the fact that there is no real random events happening in this world that we know that we can observe. It is not relevant if evolution works with whatever rule you invent or exist, what is interesting is the way you refuse to deal with the questions and would rather reach for straws just to protect your beloved theory of evolution.

IP Logged

MajorAtheist

Seek Truth!

Reply #112 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 10:20am

Mac23 wrote on Feb 14th, 2010 at 9:31am:
And by doing so destroyed the foundation of atheism.

The "foundation" of atheism? There is no foundation. Atheism is simply the lack of a belief in a God.

This is a false statement, atheism is not only a lack of belief in a God or gods it also attempts to prove it, thus you have two lairs one demonstrates a blind faith in the non existence of the supernatural, the other claims to know or have evidence that the supernatural don't exist. Either version fails when confronted with Cause and Effect. Everything that Has a beginning MUST have a cause.

God does not have a beginning thus need not have a cause. It is actually very simple.

it devastates his belief that there is no god, meaning there is no ultimate cause.

I'm sorry that you don't accept the premise or definition of God, perhaps you can explain infinite regression as to why that is more logical than one being that have existed forever. As the argument goes. Because we began to exist we must be caused by something or someone that did not begin to exist.

God did not create Himself and God was not created.

I was going to respond to all of your points individually, but it would be a waste of time. Here's the bottom line. Either:

1. Non-deterministic events can occur

or

2. Everything has existed forever, and there is no ultimate cause.

I'm personally leaning towards 1, because 2 sounds a little too much like the special exemption. While it appears to be true that everything in the natural world is governed by Cause and Effect, it appears that at the Planck scale, truly non-deterministic events can occur. I'm talking about quantum physics here. Such a random event would have been the origin of all matter an energy in the universe, and the cause of the Big Bang.
[/color]

Or 3.

Everything that begins to exist must have a cause.
Quantum physics is a rather speculative and theoretical in nature, almost impossible to prove anything there, and you would rather cling to the faint hope that a random event (not governed by any laws) could happen rather than face the obvious that stares in our faces that Cause and Effect is real? Very interesting.

But let's assume your argument is valid, and that there must have been an "Ultimate Cause": By what logic do you conclude which God it was that exists and was that "Ultimate Cause"? Where is the evidence from which to conclude that it is the Christian God, or the Islamic God, or some other God?

Here's the kicker to all of this: It is a false argument to claim that evolution requires non-deterministic random events. Evolution works just fine with all genetic variations having a causal chain.

Here's the kicker to your comment, we are not discussing evolution, just that the fact that there is no real random events happening in this world that we know that we can observe. It is not relevant if evolution works with whatever rule you invent or exist, what is interesting is the way you refuse to deal with the questions and would rather reach for straws just to protect your beloved theory of evolution.

Why would you expect to observe something that only exists  within the realm of concepts?
You don't see thoughts, but you would conclude they exist, right?

Its like saying 'inaccurate' does not exist, when in fact it exists in the absence of accuracy.  How else would you describe 'arrows on a target' that do not show a pattern or did not hit the bullseye??  How do you describe this inaccuracy that exists, even though there is no such THING as inaccurate?  The only thing that exists is accurate, inaccuracy exists once the outcome of 'arrows on a target' do not fit the definition of accurate.

SADLY, you can't tell us WHICH straws he is grabbing at.  You guys like to SAY a bunch of stuff, but never do you supply any evidence of what you say.  So, I will start discussing things in much the same way that you guys do and let's see how far it gets us. K

What is interesting is the way you refuse to deal with the questions and would rather reach for straws just to protect your beloved theory of supernatural beings.(Again, lets see how far this gets us.  If you ask for evidence of the straws you reach for, then you will see my point.)

IP Logged

MajorAtheist

Seek Truth!

Reply #113 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 10:34am

GoodScienceForYou wrote on Feb 10th, 2010 at 6:19pm:
We all know that Evodelusionists hate the idea of God and that life is under some form of control. They are often looking for ways to make up their own morals and ethics and not wanting some deity to make the rules for them.

We all know that determinism is founded on "deity" in control. 
And that this is the reason for all the nonsense.

Determinism is based on deity.  It is a false premise.  Nothing is predetermined exactly but is the results of energy expressed. 

I laugh at every post and get great enjoyment out of responding to each one.  What makes it fun is that is it so easy to prove you wrong, then watch you ban people when you can't prove them wrong because of your human emotional garbage.

Another fun thing is to watch you AVOID every question and topic that clearly proves you wrong, only for you to keep spewing mumbo jumbo in an attempt to get your point across.

Here, let me give an example, for I assume you will want proof:

The gentlemen above this post, that I am quoting you from, posted several definitions of 'determinism' and none of them mention a DEITY.  None of the definitions mentioned it. But yet you AVOID these definitions that prove you wrong, only so you can keep spewing mumbo jumbo in an attempt to get your point across.

The funny thing is............especially since YEC creationist on this site pointed out is................its the way you deal with these questions and definitions, then turn your head when you realize the implications of the answers just so you can reach at straws to help support the delusional belief in supernatural forces.  (At least that is what he said to someone he believed was avoiding questions, I assume this same logic will apply to you too; but only if you are honest.)

IP Logged

RealScienceForMe
YaBB Newbies

Seek Truth!

Reply #114 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 12:57pm

This is a false statement, atheism is not only a lack of belief in a God or gods it also attempts to prove it

I do not hold a belief in the existence of a God. I do not, however, try to disprove the existence of a God or gods. Am I, then, not an atheist? I am, after all without (a-) belief in God (theism). What label would you assign to me?

Either version fails when confronted with Cause and Effect. Everything that Has a beginning MUST have a cause.

I fail to see how Cause and Effect invalidates the position that there is insufficient evidence for the existence of the supernatural.

Special pleading. Why does God get this exemption, and yet the Universe (or whatever it is that exists outside of our universe, from which our universe began) does not? Why must there have been a beginning to the existence of existence?

I don't see it as one... can you explain why it is?

First of all, who says we began to exist? I recognize that there is a beginning to the current state of the universe as we know it, but there is nothing that indicates that the universe didn't exist before that point. Secondly, why must it have been a "someone" and not a "something"? Why do you presuppose God?

Religion is a rather speculative and theoretical in nature, almost impossible to prove anything there, and you would rather cling to the faint hope that a supernatural entity exists rather than face the obvious that stares in our faces that there is no evidence of the supernatural being real? Very interesting.

Actually, yes, it is... because different religions ascribe different characteristics to their gods. How can we discuss what God is if we can't define him/her/it?

This whole board is about evolution. GSFY has presented the argument from non-existence of non-determinism as an argument against evolution. My point is that even if the premise is true, the argument fails to invalidate the theory of evolution. Additionally, I am not refusing to deal with the question - I am arguing that the premise is not true: non-deterministic events are observed. For example: radioactive decay of an individual atom.

The Theory of Evolution might some day be disproven... but this argument does not do so.

"A denial of evolution - however motivated - is a denial of evidence, a retreat from reason to ignorance." - Dr. Tim D. White

IP Logged

Mac23
YaBB Newbies

Seek Truth!

Reply #115 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 1:53pm

Major Atheist stated, "
SADLY, you can't tell us WHICH straws he is grabbing at.  You guys like to SAY a bunch of stuff, but never do you supply any evidence of what you say.  So, I will start discussing things in much the same way that you guys do and let's see how far it gets us. K"

RealScienceForMe, stated that he would rather believe in Quantum Physics Planc hypothesis of the presumed idea that may a non determined effect might happen. I should add that he implied a non caused effect. That is what I would call "Grasping for straws" He later contradicted this and asked the question of who says we began to exist, suggestion reincarnation (religious view) or perhaps even the immortality of the soul (also a religious view) Perhaps this was not what he meant but I would say that whatever man does to support their own belief disregarding observed evidence is in love with their theory. Of course if I have misunderstood the man I apologize to you and to him in advance.

If you have any form of evidence that is able to be demonstrated and tested without a doubt I would have to revisit my current paradigm.

You wrote also MajorAtheist, "
Why would you expect to observe something that only exists  within the realm of concepts?
You don't see thoughts, but you would conclude they exist, right?"

It is interesting that you as a Major Atheist, can I assume your a Strong Atheist or you would definitely be a Minor Atheist? (pun intended) That you would even ask me that question, for it is not possible to explain it from a materialistic view point, how did thought originate in a strictly material universe? Tell me this also, what is the mind?

However the question is false because, Cause and Effect is not just a concept it is observed and very testable. You can either ignore it as most atheists does or you can ask yourself the big questions. Why do you assume that we do not need an ultimate cause Do you know what it means to believe in an none caused universe? It would mean that you believe nothing can cause something. You have only two options, either the universe is caused by someone or it existed forever. If the universe have existed forever, then the Natural Laws must also have existed forever, if they exist forever then their effects must also have existed forever, if the effects of the Laws have been in effect forever it means that we cannot be here due to we would have reached the point of absolute heat death, due to the Entropy. If the universe existed forever life must always have existed as well, due to the Law of Bio-genesis.(and then we are in the realm of God again and you guys don't like that.) Now of course if you believe the 1st option you run into quite a few paradoxes as well so I don't know which of the two belief systems are the best, I will go for the third one, "Anything that has a beginning must have had a cause" This would include the Universe as I already explained.

Please you can argue however you want to argue, I just want some nice empirical facts on the table before I jump in and believe in them. Why do you believe Cause and Effect is wrong and or do not lead to the conclusion that every effect must have a cause? Including the First Effect?

IP Logged

Mac23
YaBB Newbies

Seek Truth!

Reply #116 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 2:20pm

RealScienceForMe wrote on Feb 14th, 2010 at 12:57pm:

This is a false statement, atheism is not only a lack of belief in a God or gods it also attempts to prove it

I do not hold a belief in the existence of a God. I do not, however, try to disprove the existence of a God or gods. Am I, then, not an atheist? I am, after all without (a-) belief in God (theism). What label would you assign to me?

Either version fails when confronted with Cause and Effect. Everything that Has a beginning MUST have a cause.

I fail to see how Cause and Effect invalidates the position that there is insufficient evidence for the existence of the supernatural.

Special pleading. Why does God get this exemption, and yet the Universe (or whatever it is that exists outside of our universe, from which our universe began) does not? Why must there have been a beginning to the existence of existence?

I don't see it as one... can you explain why it is?

First of all, who says we began to exist? I recognize that there is a beginning to the current state of the universe as we know it, but there is nothing that indicates that the universe didn't exist before that point. Secondly, why must it have been a "someone" and not a "something"? Why do you presuppose God?

Religion is a rather speculative and theoretical in nature, almost impossible to prove anything there, and you would rather cling to the faint hope that a supernatural entity exists rather than face the obvious that stares in our faces that there is no evidence of the supernatural being real? Very interesting.

Actually, yes, it is... because different religions ascribe different characteristics to their gods. How can we discuss what God is if we can't define him/her/it?

This whole board is about evolution. GSFY has presented the argument from non-existence of non-determinism as an argument against evolution. My point is that even if the premise is true, the argument fails to invalidate the theory of evolution. Additionally, I am not refusing to deal with the question - I am arguing that the premise is not true: non-deterministic events are observed. For example: radioactive decay of an individual atom.

The Theory of Evolution might some day be disproven... but this argument does not do so.

What YOU label yourself is not important really, that is your personal opinion and you are entitled to it. What does matter is the fact that Atheism asserts either by blind faith or by doctrine that God does not exist.

Necessary causes:

If x is a necessary cause of y, then the presence of y necessarily implies the presence of x. The presence of x, however, does not imply that y will occur.

I propose that someone/something is necessary to cause us life this universe our existence, to happen.

This something or something is vastly powerful, organized, sentient, personal because we as humans possess similar traits and the fact that the universe has a vast potential for energy. It is not important to label who or what this powerful being power is at this point, just to recognize the fact that it is needed. Every other option is exhausted.

Cause and Effect begs the question was the FIRST effect not caused? If you say yes then you commit a logical fallacy by contradicting the premise. If you say yes then we can continue to discuss this, and then we can begin to identify who or what the Cause is. We just try now to establish that there was a Cause to the First effect.

If you for some reason still want to discuss if there was a First effect then sure we can do that. Even though I feel I have given a good enough reply as to why there must be a First effect.

Anyway, I can't force you guys to see things my way just saying that I don't agree with your arguments thus far as I do not find them logically sound.

Take care.

IP Logged

RealScienceForMe
YaBB Newbies

Seek Truth!

Reply #117 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 2:29pm

Mac23 wrote on Feb 14th, 2010 at 1:53pm:
RealScienceForMe, stated that he would rather believe in Quantum Physics Planc hypothesis of the presumed idea that may a non determined effect might happen. I should add that he implied a non caused effect. That is what I would call "Grasping for straws"

And the belief that an un-caused God exists isn't "Grasping at Straws"? My preference towards the existence of non-deterministic events is a conclusion reached through the application of Occam's Razor - the explanation with the fewest unsupported assumptions is the most likely.

He later contradicted this and asked the question of who says we began to exist, suggestion reincarnation (religious view) or perhaps even the immortality of the soul (also a religious view)

Ever heard of a "Devil's Advocate" argument? And no, I NEVER mentioned reincarnation or immortality of the soul, so don't put words in my mouth. I do not believe in the existence of a soul, so why would I have suggested such things?

Perhaps this was not what he meant

Not only is it not what I meant, it is not what I said. You applied your own religious beliefs to my statement, reaching a conclusion that was never indicated or implied.

but I would say that whatever man does to support their own belief disregarding observed evidence is in love with their theory.

Look in the mirror often? Show me the evidence I am disregarding - if you can.

Why do you assume that we do not need an ultimate cause

Because the evidence indicates that non-caused events are possible. Radioactive decay, for example.

Do you know what it means to believe in an none caused universe? It would mean that you believe nothing can cause something.

And where's the problem with that?

You have only two options, either the universe is caused by someone or it existed forever.

Why limit existence to this universe? If our universe is the effect of some cause in the larger "extraverse", then that cause need not be a "someone" - but we don't have enough information to know what it was. It very well could have been an un-caused cause - a truly random event in the "extraverse".

And before you jump on me for this "extraverse" concept, I'd like to point out that it makes more sense than believing in the existence of a supernatural entity, because even that "extraverse" would still be part of natural existence. For me, this "extraverse" is a hypothesis. For you, your God is an unshakeable belief.

If the universe have existed forever, then the Natural Laws must also have existed forever, if they exist forever then their effects must also have existed forever, if the effects of the Laws have been in effect forever it means that we cannot be here due to we would have reached the point of absolute heat death, due to the Entropy.

False premise, false conclusion. We know that this universe has not existed in its present form forever. Whether it existed in some other form before the Big Bang is, at present, unknowable. Since we do exist, and the universe has not reached heat death due to entropy, we know that the effects of the Natural Laws have not been in effect forever, but only since the Big Bang. We have know way of knowing whether these Natural Laws existed before the Big Bang.

If the universe existed forever life must always have existed as well, due to the Law of Bio-genesis.(and then we are in the realm of God again and you guys don't like that.)

That's a non-sequitur. The Law of Biogenesis says that organisms cannot spontaneously appear, fully formed, from non-living matter. It says nothing about gradual formation of organic molecules and the subsequent formation of self-reproducing organisms. To claim that life must have always existed is a false conclusion.

Now of course if you believe the 1st option you run into quite a few paradoxes as well

Really? what paradoxes would one run into?

so I don't know which of the two belief systems are the best, I will go for the third one, "Anything that has a beginning must have had a cause" This would include the Universe as I already explained.

But why the jump from "a cause" to "God did it"?

I'll stick with my conclusion - supported by evidence: non-caused causes must exist.

IP Logged

RealScienceForMe
YaBB Newbies

Seek Truth!

Reply #118 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 2:38pm

Mac23 wrote on Feb 14th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
What YOU label yourself is not important really, that is your personal opinion and you are entitled to it. What does matter is the fact that Atheism asserts either by blind faith or by doctrine that God does not exist.

I disagree with your definition of atheism.

If x is a necessary cause of y, then the presence of y necessarily implies the presence of x. The presence of x, however, does not imply that y will occur.

Once must first prove that x is a necessary cause of y.

I propose that someone/something is necessary to cause us life this universe our existence, to happen.

For the sake of argument, I tentatively accept the premise that the causal chain that is our universe as we know it must have had an initial cause. I withhold judgement on the nature of that cause.

This something or something is vastly powerful, organized, sentient, personal because we as humans possess similar traits

Wow, that's a whole lot of unsupported assumption. Provide evidence - ANY evidence - to indicate that such an entity would posess those attributes?

It is not important to label who or what this powerful being power is at this point, just to recognize the fact that it is needed. Every other option is exhausted.

I disagree that every other option is exhausted - you have simply dismissed every other option out of hand, and by fiat declared your entity to be needed.

Cause and Effect begs the question was the FIRST effect not caused?

I hate it when people misuse "begs the question". You should have said "leads to the question".

If you say yes then you commit a logical fallacy by contradicting the premise.

And if you say that God is uncaused, you commit the exact same logical fallacy.

Which means that the premise is incorrect - there must be uncaused causes.

IP Logged

MajorAtheist

Seek Truth!

Reply #119 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 2:50pm

Major Atheist stated, "
SADLY, you can't tell us WHICH straws he is grabbing at.  You guys like to SAY a bunch of stuff, but never do you supply any evidence of what you say.  So, I will start discussing things in much the same way that you guys do and let's see how far it gets us. K"

RealScienceForMe, stated that he would rather believe in Quantum Physics Planc hypothesis of the presumed idea that may a non determined effect might happen. I should add that he implied a non caused effect. That is what I would call "Grasping for straws" He later contradicted this and asked the question of who says we began to exist, suggestion reincarnation (religious view) or perhaps even the immortality of the soul (also a religious view) Perhaps this was not what he meant but I would say that whatever man does to support their own belief disregarding observed evidence is in love with their theory. Of course if I have misunderstood the man I apologize to you and to him in advance.

If you have any form of evidence that is able to be demonstrated and tested without a doubt I would have to revisit my current paradigm.

You wrote also MajorAtheist, "
You don't see thoughts, but you would conclude they exist, right?"

It is interesting that you as a Major Atheist, can I assume your a Strong Atheist or you would definitely be a Minor Atheist? (pun intended) That you would even ask me that question, for it is not possible to explain it from a materialistic view point, how did thought originate in a strictly material universe? Tell me this also, what is the mind?

However the question is false because, Cause and Effect is not just a concept it is observed and very testable. You can either ignore it as most atheists does or you can ask yourself the big questions. Why do you assume that we do not need an ultimate cause Do you know what it means to believe in an none caused universe? It would mean that you believe nothing can cause something. You have only two options, either the universe is caused by someone or it existed forever. If the universe have existed forever, then the Natural Laws must also have existed forever, if they exist forever then their effects must also have existed forever, if the effects of the Laws have been in effect forever it means that we cannot be here due to we would have reached the point of absolute heat death, due to the Entropy. If the universe existed forever life must always have existed as well, due to the Law of Bio-genesis.(and then we are in the realm of God again and you guys don't like that.) Now of course if you believe the 1st option you run into quite a few paradoxes as well so I don't know which of the two belief systems are the best, I will go for the third one, "Anything that has a beginning must have had a cause" This would include the Universe as I already explained.

Please you can argue however you want to argue, I just want some nice empirical facts on the table before I jump in and believe in them. Why do you believe Cause and Effect is wrong and or do not lead to the conclusion that every effect must have a cause? Including the First Effect?

Well, I completely understand now and thank you for your clarification.

No matter if we can explain a thought from a materialistic viewpoint or not, my question was whether you need to observe something, that exists as a concept of the physical, in order to believe it exists?

Quote:
how did thought originate in a strictly material universe?/quote]

AGain, I did not ask for an explanation, I asked whether you could believe in things, such as thoughts or inaccurate, even though they cannot be seen.

[quote]Tell me this also, what is the mind?/quote]

Sure, even though you did not answer my questions, but ok.

The mind is: the subconscious and the conscious mental activity of an organism.............as it percieves, feels, thinks, reasons, etc.

[quote]However the question is false because, Cause and Effect is not just a concept it is observed and very testable. You can either ignore it as most atheists does or you can ask yourself the big questions./quote]

I never denied it Cause and Effect exists even though it is a concept, and I am not aware of any atheists that deny cause and effect.  You cleverly avoided my questions, as does GSFY, to go onto your ramblings.

And I sometimes wonder why you guys avoid answering the big questions?

[quote]Why do you assume that we do not need an ultimate cause

Ultimate cause or cause?  Please define what the difference would be?  Are you trying to equate 'ultimate' with 'supernatural'?

Since I believe this world is cause and effect, why would I deny a cause to this universe? I never did.  Some how you did not read what I wrote or took it out of context.

Quote:
It would mean that you believe nothing can cause something.

Yes it would..............IF I BELIEVED THAT!!!  But again, I have never denied this universe works within a cause and effect relationship.

Quote:
You have only two options, either the universe is caused by someone or it existed forever.

The universe was caused by SOMETHING and until you have evidence that a person/being created it, Im really not inclined to believe what you cannot prove.

Quote:
If the universe have existed forever, then the Natural Laws must also have existed forever, if they exist forever then their effects must also have existed forever, if the effects of the Laws have been in effect forever it means that we cannot be here due to we would have reached the point of absolute heat death, due to the Entropy. If the universe existed forever life must always have existed as well, due to the Law of Bio-genesis.(and then we are in the realm of God again and you guys don't like that.)

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! I believe in cause and effect and as far as I know there is a thing called the big bang, which was the beginning of the universe as we know it. It has not existed forever.

Quote:
Now of course if you believe the 1st option you run into quite a few paradoxes as well so I don't know which of the two belief systems are the best, I will go for the third one, "Anything that has a beginning must have had a cause" This would include the Universe as I already explained.

Well, we believe that SOMETHING caused the universe, but would believe that SOMEONE did, if we had evidence of WHO that person/being was.

I wonder why your viewpoint of creation is jaded by WHO?  Why do you assume a WHO created the universe instead a WHAT?

Quote:
Please you can argue however you want to argue, I just want some nice empirical facts on the table before I jump in and believe in them.

This question is false, since it takes millions of years for evolution to take place.
So, you can keep asking for evidence that you KNOW does not need to exist, since no evolutionists is crazy enough to ONLY consider the evidence he can see.

Right!  Is that the reason you did not answer my question about the THOUGHT.  Because if you would have said "YES", I beleive in things I cant see, then you would stop asking for empirical evidence for something that takes millions of years(can't be seen).

Quote:
Why do you believe Cause and Effect is wrong and or do not lead to the conclusion that every effect must have a cause?

I never said it was wrong.  I believe in cause and effect.  I just don't try my best to make SUPERNATURAL causes out of natural causes!

You misread what I wrote! I just don't know if you did not read it clearly or did it on purpose!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print