Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Randomness (Read 50731 times)
MarDuk
Ex Member

Randomness
Dec 11th, 2009 at 7:53am

This thread is about "randomness". It is meant to be a place to establish some consistent terminology.

So a question for GoodScienceForYou: How do you describe a natural process that produces different results? And how do you characterize the results of that process? Take snowflakes for instance. One could examine millions of snowflakes and most likely not find any two that are identical. This is because Ice crystal formation is sensitive to small scale condition variances. And because the snowflakes fall through different humidity and temperature conditions. The laws of physics combined with the complexity of the system produces a phenomenon called 'chaos'. That is unpredictability in complex systems. From the wiki:
Quote:
Chaos theory is an area of inquiry in mathematics, physics, and philosophy which studies the behavior of certain dynamical systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions. This sensitivity is popularly referred to as the butterfly effect. Small differences in initial conditions (such as those due to rounding errors in numerical computation) yield widely diverging outcomes for chaotic systems, rendering long-term prediction impossible in general.[1] This happens even though these systems are deterministic, meaning that their future dynamics are fully determined by their initial conditions, with no random elements involved. In other words, the deterministic nature of these systems does not make them predictable. This behavior is known as deterministic chaos, or simply chaos.

You see, the system involves NO randomness, just how you like it. Which I agree with. But how do you characterize all of the variation in the snowflakes?

IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

The obvious isn't obvious
until it is obvious

United States
Re: Randomness
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 9:51am

This is a phylosophy that has no scientific testing.

If you don't have the capacity to understand cause and effect, I suggest that you get out of science and get a new hobby.

Each and ever event, action, energy movement, causes other events to take place.

If you actually believe in random that would destroy the theory of evolution completely. Because you rely on it being a process with cause and effect. Are you really that brainwashed?

When people have conflicting ideas in their minds they are confused and their IQ's are lowered by this.

You cannot have "random" in one part of your beliefs and "no random" in the other parts.  Can't you understand that?

There is no such thing as random in the physical universe.
If it was a "real" thing, there would be no universe.
Just like there would be no life if there was random in the DNA.
Please tell me you are not a believer in fantasy, and you have a degree in science? Roll Eyes

"Putting your faith in humanity has historically not been a good concept. Why do you think it is "different" now?"
"Find the truth for yourself and don't succumb to indoctrination."
IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

until it is obvious

United States
Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 10:00am

There is no such thing as random in the universe.

The structure of the universe is set in motion by the laws of physics.  Random means no structure.

Because the human mind is to feeble to focus on billions of interactions in one split second, is no excuse to show even more ignorance.

You need to realize that humans are flawed and because of that they make up crap beliefs to fill in where they are weak.

This is the basis of your religion.

If you seek the truth you would be amazed at how your intelligence goes up. Because there is no confusion in the truth.  It is always the same and never changes.

The truth is always the same and never changes. 

Religious bovine in science, is always changing to fit the beliefs of the times. Get free of all religious beliefs and seek the truth.

"Putting your faith in humanity has historically not been a good concept. Why do you think it is "different" now?"
IP Logged

oh_noes

Seek Truth! Doubt those
who find it.

Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 10:06am

Can point out where he said true randomness exists please?

He just described the apperance of randomness is complex systems when starting conditions are not known exactly. This has been explained to you, repeatedly. I referred to it as apparently randomness.

Randomness exists from the point of view of the observer. If I toss a coin I can treat the outcome as random. It doesn't matter if it's not, for my purposes it is, and thus I can treat it as such and describe it as such.

Got it? I doubt it.

Proof: Not a scientific concept.
Nephilmfree: For those occasions when evidence and reason just aren't enough.

IP Logged

MarDuk
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 10:11am

Quote:
There is no such thing as random in the universe.

The structure of the universe is set in motion by the laws of physics.  Random means no structure.

Because the human mind is to feeble to focus on billions of interactions in one split second, is no excuse to show even more ignorance.

You need to realize that humans are flawed and because of that they make up crap beliefs to fill in where they are weak.

This is the basis of your religion.

If you seek the truth you would be amazed at how your intelligence goes up. Because there is no confusion in the truth.  It is always the same and never changes.

The truth is always the same and never changes.

Religious bovine in science, is always changing to fit the beliefs of the times. Get free of all religious beliefs and seek the truth.

You're describing determinism. I agree with determinism. I understand that nothing escapes causality.

NEVERTHELESS complexity produces "apparent randomness". Snowflakes, traffic, coin flipping. All random to the observer. You can't deny this any longer. It's time to accept it.

IP Logged

MarDuk
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 10:14am

Quote:

Didn't they make you roll dice or flip coins in school? I thought everyone did this.

IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

until it is obvious

United States
Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 10:25am

Quote:
Quote:

Didn't they make you roll dice or flip coins in school? I thought everyone did this.

Listen to this video by one of your kind. He is one of the most delusional people in science, yet he is defending the fact that there is no random.  How the dice were thrown and the results are what actually happened. How the cards are dealt is exactly how the cards are dealt and you cannot change that. Because you are too feeble minded to see all the laws of physics working on the cards, does not prove random. 

If you believe in random, you are a fool.  It negates all of science, negates any form of rigors in testing, because if random was real, you could not do even one experiment.

You choose to believe in random because it fits your dumb ass belief in Evodelusion which is religious based.
Don't you know this whole belief system came from a pagan religion.

You need to read what I teach, if you ever want to be free of these delusional beliefs, based on human weakness.

Give up you nonsense and listen to me.  If you can't do that, you will always be one of the fleas in the jar.

There was this experiment, in which they placed hundreds of fleas in a jar.  The fleas would jump up and hit the lid over and over.  Then they took off the lid and the fleas, still jumped up, but just to the height were the lid was.

I am taking the lid off your jar.  It is OK to jump out of the friggin jar and start on your way to freedom of thought. To get into objective awareness, and no logical fallacies.

You cannot have random in one part of your science and then totally disregard it in another part, and think you have an integrated science. There is only one truth in the matter and it is always the same.  It is impossible to integrate random in your belief system, because it conflicts with most of the rest of your beliefs.

IP Logged

MarDuk
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 10:30am

I'm going to flip a coin. The universe is deterministic. Can you tell me it isn't going to be heads or tails?

Use the laws of physics to perfectly predict the outcome. Can you do this? If so HOW? If not WHY NOT?

IP Logged

oh_noes

Seek Truth! Doubt those
who find it.

Reply #8 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 10:45am

So feeble minded that when MaDduk stated "I believe everything is deterministic" he clearly didn't mean it, hence the reason you keep arguing against his position...

Oh no, wait, thats a straw man again.

IP Logged

oh_noes

Seek Truth! Doubt those
who find it.

Reply #9 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 10:45am

MarDuk, sorry, and why is there no edit facility?

IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

until it is obvious

United States
Reply #10 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 10:54am

Quote:
I'm going to flip a coin. The universe is deterministic. Can you tell me it isn't going to be heads or tails?

Use the laws of physics to perfectly predict the outcome. Can you do this? If so HOW? If not WHY NOT?

I have answered this before, but you did not read it. You are not a good student because you don't know how to learn and you need to read what I have already written.

We do not have the tools to determine the outcome. It requires a computer that is far more advanced than we have now. In the future computers will ruin all of gamboling, lotteries, and such.

However, if we had a computer that could calculate all the physics involved you could predict the outcome as soon as the coin was flipped. If you could see the mechanics inside the hand of the person doing the toss, you could do it at the point of the initial energy of the movement of the thumb.

Take 10 (or 20 or 30 or how ever many you need) video cameras on high speed (10,000 frames per second would do it) and look at all the forces in play. then you would see the propulsion in involved and the angles of the mass, calculate the vectors and you would have your answer. All you would need to know is the exact shape of the coin, masses at any point on the coin etc.
It is because you are not capable of understanding there is no random, and you were brainwashed into this false belief that you think it is real.

I feel sorry for you, but you accept logical fallacies from your teachers, because they accept logical fallacies as real, and their teachers did as well.  Your teachers are brainwashed into this logical fallacy because they are too weak minded to think for themselves.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

MarDuk
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 10:55am

Why did I just watch a 10 minute video in the Randomness thread that makes not a single mention of randomness? Are you thrilled with wasting peoples' time?

What the hell is the matter with you?

IP Logged

MarDuk
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 10:57am

Quote:
I have answered this before, but you did not read it. You are not a good student because you don't know how to learn and you need to read what I have already written.

We do not have the tools to determine the outcome. It requires a computer that is far more advanced than we have now. In the future computers will ruin all of gamboling, lotteries, and such.

However, if we had a computer that could calculate all the physics involved you could predict the outcome as soon as the coin was flipped. If you could see the mechanics inside the hand of the person doing the toss, you could do it at the point of the initial energy of the movement of the thumb.

Take 10 (or 20 or 30 or how ever many you need) video cameras on high speed (10,000 frames per second would do it) and look at all the forces in play. then you would see the propulsion in involved and the angles of the mass, calculate the vectors and you would have your answer. All you would need to know is the exact shape of the coin, masses at any point on the coin etc.
It is because you are not capable of understanding there is no random, and you were brainwashed into this false belief that you think it is real.

I feel sorry for you, but you accept logical fallacies from your teachers, because they accept logical fallacies as real, and their teachers did as well.  Your teachers are brainwashed into this logical fallacy because they are too weak minded to think for themselves.  Roll Eyes

You are so full of garbage.

IP Logged

MarDuk
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 10:59am

Quote:
In the future computers will ruin all of gamboling, lotteries, and such.

LOL.. Yeah, a computer is going to tell you where the roulette marble will fall even before the dealer drops it on the wheel.

If you believe that will EVER happen you're the delusional one. You are truly out of your mind.

IP Logged

MarDuk
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 11:00am

Quote:
We do not have the tools to determine the outcome.

EXACTLY. When this is the case we commonly call this a "random" outcome.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print