Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Randomness (Read 50732 times)
oh_noes

Seek Truth! Doubt those
who find it.

Re: Randomness
Reply #90 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 4:55am

Quote:
Anyone who has ever programmed computers, knows that one "letter" off in the code will cause it to fail. The computer will lock up and have to be rebooted.

Or alternatively, a new and unexpected behaviour might result, as indeed is guaranteed to happen if the new code can be read. And of course with DNA all we are dealing with are amino acids, we know they can be read.

Proof: Not a scientific concept.
Nephilmfree: For those occasions when evidence and reason just aren't enough.

IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

The obvious isn't obvious
until it is obvious

United States
Reply #91 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 9:54am

oh_noes wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 4:55am:
Quote:
Anyone who has ever programmed computers, knows that one "letter" off in the code will cause it to fail. The computer will lock up and have to be rebooted.

Or alternatively, a new and unexpected behaviour might result, as indeed is guaranteed to happen if the new code can be read. And of course with DNA all we are dealing with are amino acids, we know they can be read.

Obviously you have never programmed a computer in a low level language.  I am not talking about hyper text. Grin

"Putting your faith in humanity has historically not been a good concept. Why do you think it is "different" now?"
"Find the truth for yourself and don't succumb to indoctrination."
IP Logged

oh_noes

Seek Truth! Doubt those
who find it.

Reply #92 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 10:06am

As it happens I was thinking in terms of coding in binary, using tape to feed into a machine. I figured it was the best analogy for DNA, since DNA consists of 4 bases in various combinations.

IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

until it is obvious

United States
Reply #93 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 10:41am

oh_noes wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 10:06am:
As it happens I was thinking in terms of coding in binary, using tape to feed into a machine. I figured it was the best analogy for DNA, since DNA consists of 4 bases in various combinations.

Like I said, I don't think you have ever programmed a computer.

"Putting your faith in humanity has historically not been a good concept. Why do you think it is "different" now?"
IP Logged

oh_noes

Seek Truth! Doubt those
who find it.

Reply #94 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 10:46am

Programmed a computer? nope, never interested in machine code. My stuff was mostly high level.

As part of my degree I coded real time systems in ADA, of all things it was a ball sorting contraption to sort plastic and steel balls into separate containers using a magnet to trigger a flipper.

I completed a module on using OpenGL, coding in C, for a helicopter flying over a fractal landscape.

I've coded in php for website front ends, in particular for accessing a hardened mysql database, a project that I completed for my University dissertation.

I have some experience hacking bash scripts together.

I am not a programmer by trade, but I have experience accross multiple operating systems and language gained throughout my time at university and for personal interest.

And not one bit of that is relevant to the discussion at hand, which is the idea that the changing of a single base pair renders DNA useless.

IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

until it is obvious

United States
Reply #95 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:16am

oh_noes wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 10:46am:
Programmed a computer? nope, never interested in machine code. My stuff was mostly high level.

As part of my degree I coded real time systems in ADA, of all things it was a ball sorting contraption to sort plastic and steel balls into separate containers using a magnet to trigger a flipper.

I completed a module on using OpenGL, coding in C, for a helicopter flying over a fractal landscape.

I've coded in php for website front ends, in particular for accessing a hardened mysql database, a project that I completed for my University dissertation.

I have some experience hacking bash scripts together.

I am not a programmer by trade, but I have experience accross multiple operating systems and language gained throughout my time at university and for personal interest.

And not one bit of that is relevant to the discussion at hand, which is the idea that the changing of a single base pair renders DNA useless.

using libraries and high level programming is not the same as line by line code.  You know that.

One "letter" off and the thing will not work.  I have spent hours looking for that one letter until I find it. It can be an "i" in "if" and it locks up.   

You really think that scrambling and hundred or so base pairs of the DNA will allow life?

Like I said, why don't you have a hundred  or so of your DNA codings changed, scrambled by some guy in a lab with a blindfold on and see how long you live?  This idea is utter nonsense.

Life relies on ordered and extremely detailed instructions to live.

IP Logged

oh_noes

Seek Truth! Doubt those
who find it.

Reply #96 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:20am

GoodScienceForYou wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:16am:
You really think that scrambling and hundred or so base pairs of the DNA will allow life?

If my genome contains 150 odd differences to that of my parents it is clear that it can survive 150 changes, unless you can provide a mechanism for those "changes" to have been present in the parent DNA and passed on.

Every living person on the planet is evidence that 150 changes in the genome are not fatal, they are all walking around with them.

IP Logged

glowingape

wut?

Reply #97 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:24am

GoodScienceForYou wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 10:41am:
oh_noes wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 10:06am:

Like I said, I don't think you have ever programmed a computer. 

"Program a computer"? What does that mean? You mean like writing BIOS software? Because he might not write low-level code, but I have... I've fiddled with microprocessors (mostly Motorola 68** series and Z80), but nowadays I stick mostly with Atmel.

I've coded enough in assembler, that I know, that you can make an oops and the "typo" can lead to unforseen consequences without locking up the computer.

While in the low-level programming you CAN make the system lock up, that's usually not the case. Usually 2 things can happen; 1) the compiler will cough out a syntax error or 2) the program will act in unexpected manner.

Quote:
Diamond are no longer carbon, they are diamonds.  Moron! ~ GSFY

Quote:
Photosynthesis is a carbon digesting process. ~ GSFY

IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

until it is obvious

United States
Reply #98 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:27am

oh_noes wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:20am:
GoodScienceForYou wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:16am:

If my genome contains 150 odd differences to that of my parents it is clear that it can survive 150 changes, unless you can provide a mechanism for those "changes" to have been present in the parent DNA and passed on.

Every living person on the planet is evidence that 150 changes in the genome are not fatal, they are all walking around with them.

One piece of coding in DNA can cause severe illness. Don't you know that.  Random is certain death for the species.

There is no such thing as random in the universe. It runs on the laws of cause and effect, therefore random is fantasy.

IP Logged

oh_noes

Seek Truth! Doubt those
who find it.

Reply #99 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:31am

GoodScienceForYou wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:27am:
One piece of coding in DNA can cause severe illness. Don't you know that.

Yes, fully aware that it might. Also aware that it probably won't.

Quote:
  Random is certain death for the species.

First you tell me random doesn't exist, now you tell me it's death for the species. Interesting. Is this a concession that random does exist?

And of course it's not certain death, that's a ludicrous suggestion, again every living walking breathing person serves as evidence.

Quote:
There is no such thing as random in the universe.

Oh, so random doesn't exist? So why is it deadly?

Quote:
It runs on the laws of cause and effect, therefore random is fantasy.

An irrelevance until you have the ability to predict every physical interaction in the Universe. The process can be modelled as random in the meantime.

IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

until it is obvious

United States
Reply #100 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:40am

Quote:
Quote:
We do not have the tools to determine the outcome.

EXACTLY. When this is the case we commonly call this a "random" outcome.

Not having the tools is like trying to look at bacteria with a set of jewlers magnifiers.  Until you pull out the proper tool or invent it, you have no idea the causes on things you have no way of knowing about.

There is absolutely,  ABSOLUTELY, no way for you to know the cause of any changed in DNA from the parents to the offspring in the reproductive process.  If a chemical is involved then you can see that as a cause,  BUT IT IS still a cause.

IP Logged

oh_noes

Seek Truth! Doubt those
who find it.

Reply #101 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:43am

GoodScienceForYou wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:40am:
Quote:
Quote:
We do not have the tools to determine the outcome.

EXACTLY. When this is the case we commonly call this a "random" outcome.

Not having the tools is like trying to look at bacteria with a set of jewlers magnifiers.  Until you pull out the proper tool or invent it, you have no idea the causes on things you have no way of knowing about.

There is absolutely,  ABSOLUTELY, no way for you to know the cause of any changed in DNA from the parents to the offspring in the reproductive process.  If a chemical is involved then you can see that as a cause,  BUT IT IS still a cause.

Never said it wasn't. Interaction with some photo of radiation, a neutrino, who knows what, makes bugger all difference. Just enough to corrupt the copying process and bang, new base pair. Could happen to any one.

IP Logged

glowingape

wut?

Reply #102 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:43am

One piece of coding in DNA can cause severe illness. Don't you know that.  Random is certain death for the species.

No.
In most cases the mutations of DNA happen in non-coding regions. By the research conducted in 1999, there are 128 mutations per average per human zygote: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B8JDD-4RDPT53-F&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1137021189&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=603f2a9f85007d3f1a26d77f913cd0eb

Most of the mutations occur in the non-coding regions; In humans that's ~95% of the DNA, that's why they're neutral. But some can be beneficial, and some can be detrimental.

Why do you think, that your DNA is different from your parent's?

Quote:
Diamond are no longer carbon, they are diamonds.  Moron! ~ GSFY

Quote:
Photosynthesis is a carbon digesting process. ~ GSFY

IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

until it is obvious

United States
Reply #103 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:45am

oh_noes wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:31am:

Quote:

First you tell me random doesn't exist, now you tell me it's death for the species. Interesting. Is this a concession that random does exist?

And of course it's not certain death, that's a ludicrous suggestion, again every living walking breathing person serves as evidence.

Quote:

Quote:

An irrelevance until you have the ability to predict every physical interaction in the Universe. The process can be modelled as random in the meantime.

The universe is a structure that runs on the laws of science.

It cannot run on chaos.

Why are you using random for evidence then on other evidence you go ape garbage and say it is not random? You cannot have two conflicting ideas in the same science.  It must be integrated.

If random is real, then 99% of your other arguments are destroyed. 

You cannot assemble any "tree of life" if life is random.

You cannot say that "evolutionary pressure" is a cause if "random" is the cause or even a cause. 

You are brainwashed into a dumb belief system with conflicting information and conflicting data all over.

IP Logged

oh_noes

Seek Truth! Doubt those
who find it.

Reply #104 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:55am

GoodScienceForYou wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:45am:
oh_noes wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:31am:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The universe is a structure that runs on the laws of science.

It cannot run on chaos.

Why are you using random for evidence then on other evidence you go ape garbage and say it is not random? You cannot have two conflicting ideas in the same science.  It must be integrated.

If random is real, then 99% of your other arguments are destroyed. 

You cannot assemble any "tree of life" if life is random.

You cannot say that "evolutionary pressure" is a cause if "random" is the cause or even a cause. 

You are brainwashed into a dumb belief system with conflicting information and conflicting data all over.

I posted, at length, to explain apparent randomness. Do you just switch off and not read?

Apparently randomness is a process that appears random precisely because we do not have a complete understanding of the state of the Universe.

I can refer to the toss of a coin as being random because I am incapable of predicting it accurately. The best I can do is assign probabilities, 50:50 in the case of a coin toss. It doesn't matter that the coin toss isn't random, I can't know the starting conditions so I can treat it as such. Because I can treat it as such, I can refer to it as random.

The same applies to mutations in DNA. I can't know the starting conditions, the best I can do is give probabilities that a given base pair will get mutated. I can call it random because i don't have complete information.

This really isn't a difficult concept to grasp.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print