Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
There is no such thing as random mutations in genetics. (Read 37589 times)
Mac23
YaBB Newbies

Seek Truth!

Re: There is no such thing as random mutations in genetics.
Reply #120 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 7:20am

So both Major Atheist and RealScienceForMe have explained that they believe in an ultimate cause, excellent and congratulations you are no longer atheists. =) It is by the way not my definition but Websters Definition. Atheism asserts a meaningless origin, a non caused accident that nothing did, that is the naked atheism up close and personal, you have however a great variety of people believing they know what it means to have a non caused origin. Anyway, please read on and I do not mean any disrespect to you guys or any other atheist out there. It is just my experience that the atheist rarely know what atheism is.

Now that we have established that the first effect had a cause we can begin establishing the nature of that cause.

The cause must be able to consciously induce the effect, thus it cannot be random. Random in this sense would mean a non-determined action that did not have any origin in any physical or meta physical law that we know or don't know of. Meaning, if you were to argue it was random you will end up with questions why did it happen? And what caused that event to happen etc etc ad nauseum. The act of creating the laws in the universe had to be a choice made by someone with the ability to choose simply because that is the only viable option. As choice was part of it anything without this ability could not do it as that itself had to be acted upon by something that knew what it was doing. Especially since the laws of physics were not existing, as RSFM stated "...The Big Bang... universe had a beginning" Then we speak of O. Razor, do we follow the line of Cause and Effect or do we invent a multi universe that only moves the question backwards a.k.a infinite regression? Let us jump straight to the source, the cause of the first effect transcend any event that happened after it.

To sum it up in easier terms.

1) The first effect had to be consciously affected by something or someone that knew what they were doing else we end up at infinite regression and violate the rule of Causation.

2) As the first effect was caused by something or someone by choice, meaning not random, we can deduce that it was a meaningful action. (One can argue that the action was purposely inflicted yet unaware, but that begs the question why the laws of physics are so fine tuned)

3) Due to the amount of power and energy existing we can further deduce that the someone or something that caused the first effect and thus creating the universe is vastly powerful.

4) As it is highly unreasonable to assume that something inorganic can create life due to Pasteur's Germ theory and Spontaneous generation, it is probable that whatever caused the first effect to be alive. Thus the statement "Life begets Life" is established. Life have always existed and will always exist in one form or the other, just like energy.

5) Due to our own sentient capabilities and reasoning abilities it is more likely that we have been created with purpose and intent. rather than we having developed such abilities from a state of unaware without intention and purpose.

Last, like I said one assumption is just as good as the next and O.Razor does indeed lend support the statement of God rather than the statement of evolution. At least to me.

The point was anyway to help you guys see that you are making religious statements to support your conjectures in order to support your pet theory of evolution. Glad you finally admitted that the first effect did have a cause, and thus you have invalidated your atheism. Maybe you did not understand what it was you were doing when you did it but be honest with yourself. =) Keep thinking about this for the time to come and I'm sure you will have a change of paradigms.

I do not believe I have all the answers, I just like to explore the options that we have. If you believe mankind could evolve thinking abilities by themselves then you need to prove this otherwise it is more logical to think it was inherited by whoever made us. I can think because I'm human, I cannot think because my ancestors is believed to be "monkeys". Maybe you see the difference, it does make sense to me anyway.

Peace guys.

IP Logged

MajorAtheist

Seek Truth!

Reply #121 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 11:50am

Mac23 wrote on Feb 17th, 2010 at 7:20am:
[quote]So both Major Atheist and RealScienceForMe have explained that they believe in an ultimate cause, excellent and congratulations you are no longer atheists. =) It is by the way not my definition but Websters Definition.

WHAHAH!  SADLY we explained that we believe in a 'cause', not an 'ultimate cause'.  But people that are scared of definitions and reality will twist  these definitions each and every time.  You are proving me right!

Quote:
Atheism asserts a meaningless origin, a non caused accident that nothing did,

Ummm, read above. You can keep lying all you want, but it only shows that you are either too scared or too dumb to understand.

How can we believe this universe was NOT caused, even though there is evidence of a cause and effect relationship.  WE can't; therefore you lie!

Quote:
Anyway, please read on and I do not mean any disrespect to you guys or any other atheist out there. It is just my experience that the atheist rarely know what atheism is.

SADLY, you are proving that you don't know what it means. Atheism is ONLY a lack of belief in theism.  Aunicornism is only a lack of beliefs in unicorns; whereas unicornism would be the belief in them.

But notice whether you believe or not..........has nothing to do with how or if they were created, huh? LMAO!  SEE what i mean.  If you don't, then I will question your intelligence.  Don't take it too personally.  Its just that Religious believers are very keen on twisting the definitions of words to promote their agenda, since it can't stand on its own merits!

Quote:
Now that we have established that the first effect had a cause we can begin establishing the nature of that cause.

WHAHAHAH!   Ahhhh, now you only want to establish a 'cause', but fail to realize your first posts referred to an 'ultimate cause'.

Suddenly, NOW and according to the statement above, you want to find the nature of the cause, instead of the nature of the 'ultimate cause.'

Quote:
The cause must be able to consciously induce the effect, thus it cannot be random.

First, if wind caused the tree to grow crooked, this cause of the tree growing crooked has no conscience, right or wrong?  If I am wrong, then prove the wind has a conscience.  If I am right, then the wind does not have to consciously do anything, for the mere presence of the wind can cause the tree not to grow straight.

Quote:
Random in this sense would mean a non-determined action that did not have any origin in any physical or meta physical law that we know or don't know of. Meaning, if you were to argue it was random you will end up with questions why did it happen?

Ummm, that is a part of RANDOM!  Not knowing which physical forces were applied and to what degree, proves the outcome is random when you can't predict with 100% accuracy!

Quote:
And what caused that event to happen etc etc ad nauseum. The act of creating the laws in the universe had to be a choice made by someone with the ability to choose simply because that is the only viable option.

We have no evidence of this.  But you can believe in things that have no evidence if you want.  Your choice, but don't get mad when people laugh at your beliefs that you CANT back up with evidence!

The laws of this universe had to be caused, but we don't know WHAT caused them.   Keep being biased by asking WHO created them.  Up to you!

Quote:
As choice was part of it anything without this ability could not do it as that itself had to be acted upon by something that knew what it was doing.

A choice was not part of it, but a cause was.  Let's see if you can back up what you believe or will we find out that you have nothing and its complete hogwash!

Quote:
Especially since the laws of physics were not existing, as RSFM stated "...The Big Bang... universe had a beginning" Then we speak of O. Razor, do we follow the line of Cause and Effect or do we invent a multi universe that only moves the question backwards a.k.a infinite regression? Let us jump straight to the source, the cause of the first effect transcend any event that happened after it.

1) The first effect had to be consciously affected by something or someone that knew what they were doing else we end up at infinite regression and violate the rule of Causation.

Since we have no evidence of anyone being around and since we have no evidence of anyone CAUSING this universe to come into existence it is ridiculous to claim that someone did.

Quote:
2) As the first effect was caused by something or someone by choice, meaning not random, we can deduce that it was a meaningful action. (One can argue that the action was purposely inflicted yet unaware, but that begs the question why the laws of physics are so fine tuned)

Ahhhh, now you are getting there and hopefully getting away from your biased posts.  SEE, how you now say "As the first effect was caused by SOMETHING......"?????

If someTHING caused it and if this someTHING did not have a conscience, this would lead people to believe that this universe did not come into existence by immaterial conscious thoughts, it came into existence because of physical 'cause and effect'.

Quote:
3) Due to the amount of power and energy existing we can further deduce that the someone or something that caused the first effect and thus creating the universe is vastly powerful.

Due to the amount of power and energy we can further deduce that there is a lot of power and energy.  This energy may be weak, but due to the massive amounts of it, it could appear powerful, cumulatively.

Quote:
4) As it is highly unreasonable to assume that something inorganic can create life due to Pasteur's Germ theory and Spontaneous generation, it is probable that whatever caused the first effect to be alive. Thus the statement "Life begets Life" is established. Life have always existed and will always exist in one form or the other, just like energy

If whatever created life is actually alive, then you can't deduce that it is above time/space, since nothing alive is above time/space.

If whatever created life is actually alive, then you can't say that God created life, since God is not living!

SEE, you religious believers work yourself into a circle each time!

Quote:
5) Due to our own sentient capabilities and reasoning abilities it is more likely that we have been created with purpose and intent. rather than we having developed such abilities from a state of unaware without intention and purpose.

When you reduce things to cause and effect........the effect is the purpose of the cause.

Quote:
Last, like I said one assumption is just as good as the next and O.Razor does indeed lend support the statement of God rather than the statement of evolution. At least to me.

In science, Occam’s razor is used as a heuristic (rule of thumb) to guide scientists in the development of theoretical models rather than as an arbiter between published models.[4][5] In the scientific method, Occam's razor is not considered an irrefutable principle of logic, and certainly not a scientific result

Quote:
The point was anyway to help you guys see that you are making religious statements to support your conjectures in order to support your pet theory of evolution. Glad you finally admitted that the first effect did have a cause, and thus you have invalidated your atheism. Maybe you did not understand what it was you were doing when you did it but be honest with yourself. =) Keep thinking about this for the time to come and I'm sure you will have a change of paradigms.

WHAHAH!  Just because this world is cause and effect, does not mean that atheists can't admit that this universe was caused by SOMETHING.  But again, until we find evidence of exactly what that cause is............it is ridiculous to reduce it to things you can't back up.

But FEAR will make you do those kinds of things!

So, no we have not invalidated our atheism, you have ONLY twisted (cause and effect)..........to mean that we know it to be caused by a God, of which you have no evidence for!

Quote:
I do not believe I have all the answers, I just like to explore the options that we have. If you believe mankind could evolve thinking abilities by themselves then you need to prove this otherwise it is more logical to think it was inherited by whoever made us. I can think because I'm human, I cannot think because my ancestors is believed to be "monkeys". Maybe you see the difference, it does make sense to me anyway.

And you ONLY explore the options within a dogmatic paradigm. Closed mindedness!

Ok, but once I prove it, what does it mean when you CANT beleive it.  Will that prove you are not smart enough to understand or too FEARful to understand?????????

Sure you can SAY that I am too stupid or too scared to believe you, but YET I bet you can't find in an atheists book of where it promises to punish me if I don't believe in it.

Read Sam Harris, Dawkins, etc.  Do ANY of them talk about being punished for NOT believing in them?

So, why does your God promise to punish you for not believing in him, then why is it a mystery as to why you CANT believe us????

IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

The obvious isn't obvious
until it is obvious

United States
Reply #122 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 12:04pm

I am just happy that you put that answer on here.  It shows anyone with a brain just what happens when delusional religious beliefs, based on nothing are in charge of one's mind.

Once you surrender to mass hysteria, this is what you get.

"Putting your faith in humanity has historically not been a good concept. Why do you think it is "different" now?"
"Find the truth for yourself and don't succumb to indoctrination."
IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

until it is obvious

United States
Reply #123 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 12:09pm

MajorAtheist wrote on Feb 17th, 2010 at 11:50am:
[quote]So both Major Atheist and RealScienceForMe have explained that they believe in an ultimate cause, excellent and congratulations you are no longer atheists. =) It is by the way not my definition but Websters Definition.

WHAHAH!  SADLY we explained that we believe in a 'cause', not an 'ultimate cause'.  But people that are scared of definitions and reality will twist  these definitions each and every time.  You are proving me right!

Quote:

Ummm, read above. You can keep lying all you want, but it only shows that you are either too scared or too dumb to understand.

How can we believe this universe was NOT caused, even though there is evidence of a cause and effect relationship.  WE can't; therefore you lie!

Quote:
Anyway, please read on and I do not mean any disrespect to you guys or any other atheist out there. It is just my experience that the atheist rarely know what atheism is.

SADLY, you are proving that you don't know what it means. Atheism is ONLY a lack of belief in theism.  Aunicornism is only a lack of beliefs in unicorns; whereas unicornism would be the belief in them.

But notice whether you believe or not..........has nothing to do with how or if they were created, huh? LMAO!  SEE what i mean.  If you don't, then I will question your intelligence.  Don't take it too personally.  Its just that Religious believers are very keen on twisting the definitions of words to promote their agenda, since it can't stand on its own merits!

Quote:

WHAHAHAH!   Ahhhh, now you only want to establish a 'cause', but fail to realize your first posts referred to an 'ultimate cause'.

Suddenly, NOW and according to the statement above, you want to find the nature of the cause, instead of the nature of the 'ultimate cause.'

Quote:
The cause must be able to consciously induce the effect, thus it cannot be random.

First, if wind caused the tree to grow crooked, this cause of the tree growing crooked has no conscience, right or wrong?  If I am wrong, then prove the wind has a conscience.  If I am right, then the wind does not have to consciously do anything, for the mere presence of the wind can cause the tree not to grow straight.

Quote:
Random in this sense would mean a non-determined action that did not have any origin in any physical or meta physical law that we know or don't know of. Meaning, if you were to argue it was random you will end up with questions why did it happen?

Ummm, that is a part of RANDOM!  Not knowing which physical forces were applied and to what degree, proves the outcome is random when you can't predict with 100% accuracy!

Quote:
And what caused that event to happen etc etc ad nauseum. The act of creating the laws in the universe had to be a choice made by someone with the ability to choose simply because that is the only viable option.

We have no evidence of this.  But you can believe in things that have no evidence if you want.  Your choice, but don't get mad when people laugh at your beliefs that you CANT back up with evidence!

The laws of this universe had to be caused, but we don't know WHAT caused them.   Keep being biased by asking WHO created them.  Up to you!

Quote:
As choice was part of it anything without this ability could not do it as that itself had to be acted upon by something that knew what it was doing.

A choice was not part of it, but a cause was.  Let's see if you can back up what you believe or will we find out that you have nothing and its complete hogwash!

Quote:
Especially since the laws of physics were not existing, as RSFM stated "...The Big Bang... universe had a beginning" Then we speak of O. Razor, do we follow the line of Cause and Effect or do we invent a multi universe that only moves the question backwards a.k.a infinite regression? Let us jump straight to the source, the cause of the first effect transcend any event that happened after it.

Since we have no evidence of anyone being around and since we have no evidence of anyone CAUSING this universe to come into existence it is ridiculous to claim that someone did.

Quote:

Ahhhh, now you are getting there and hopefully getting away from your biased posts.  SEE, how you now say "As the first effect was caused by SOMETHING......"?????

If someTHING caused it and if this someTHING did not have a conscience, this would lead people to believe that this universe did not come into existence by immaterial conscious thoughts, it came into existence because of physical 'cause and effect'.

Quote:

Due to the amount of power and energy we can further deduce that there is a lot of power and energy.  This energy may be weak, but due to the massive amounts of it, it could appear powerful, cumulatively.

Quote:
4) As it is highly unreasonable to assume that something inorganic can create life due to Pasteur's Germ theory and Spontaneous generation, it is probable that whatever caused the first effect to be alive. Thus the statement "Life begets Life" is established. Life have always existed and will always exist in one form or the other, just like energy

If whatever created life is actually alive, then you can't deduce that it is above time/space, since nothing alive is above time/space.

If whatever created life is actually alive, then you can't say that God created life, since God is not living!

Quote:

When you reduce things to cause and effect........the effect is the purpose of the cause.

Quote:

In science, Occam’s razor is used as a heuristic (rule of thumb) to guide scientists in the development of theoretical models rather than as an arbiter between published models.[4][5] In the scientific method, Occam's razor is not considered an irrefutable principle of logic, and certainly not a scientific result

Quote:

WHAHAH!  Just because this world is cause and effect, does not mean that atheists can't admit that this universe was caused by SOMETHING.  But again, until we find evidence of exactly what that cause is............it is ridiculous to reduce it to things you can't back up.

So, no we have not invalidated our atheism, you have ONLY twisted (cause and effect)..........to mean that we know it to be caused by a God, of which you have no evidence for!

Quote:

Ok, but once I prove it, what does it mean when you CANT beleive it.  Will that prove you are not smart enough to understand or too FEARful to understand?????????

Sure you can SAY that I am too stupid or too scared to believe you, but YET I bet you can't find in an atheists book of where it promises to punish me if I don't believe in it.

Read Sam Harris, Dawkins, etc.  Do ANY of them talk about being punished for NOT believing in them?

So, why does your God promise to punish you for not believing in him, then why is it a mystery as to why you CANT believe us????

Apparently you are opposed to the law of Karma?  Which is a law of physics.  "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

In other words we punish ourselves by our actions. If you want to stop punishing yourself, you need guidance on how to stop that.

1/ If you don't want to be lied to, stop lying to yourself and to others.

2/If you don't want physical pain, stop beating other people.

3/ If you want peace love and understanding, start being an example of that.

4/ If you want respect, be respectful.

5/ If you want love, be loving.

6/ If you want compassion, be compassionate.

7/ If you want the truth, then seek that instead of your f**ked up beliefs and projecting those on the world.

8/ If you want to be free, be free and stop taking on other people's beliefs, and allowing them to own you.

"Putting your faith in humanity has historically not been a good concept. Why do you think it is "different" now?"
IP Logged

RealScienceForMe
YaBB Newbies

Seek Truth!

Reply #124 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 2:56pm

So both Major Atheist and RealScienceForMe have explained that they believe in an ultimate cause, excellent and congratulations you are no longer atheists. =) It is by the way not my definition but Websters Definition. Atheism asserts a meaningless origin, a non caused accident that nothing did, that is the naked atheism up close and personal, you have however a great variety of people believing they know what it means to have a non caused origin. Anyway, please read on and I do not mean any disrespect to you guys or any other atheist out there. It is just my experience that the atheist rarely know what atheism is.

Apparently you don't know what atheism is. Since you mentioned it, let's take a look at Webster's definition:

Quote:
Main Entry: athe·ism
Pronunciation: \ˈā-thē-ˌi-zəm\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French athéisme, from athée atheist, from Greek atheos godless, from a- + theos god
Date: 1546

1 archaic : ungodliness, wickedness
2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Hmm, would you look at that, 2 a : a disbelief in the existence of a deity. That sounds like me... guess I'm an atheist after all.

Nothing in there about "asserts a meaningless origin, a non caused accident that nothing did". Either way, did you miss my statement that "there must be uncaused causes"?

Ok...

Unsupported premise. There is no necessity that an initial cause be conscious of any effect it might induce.

Random in this sense would mean a non-determined action that did not have any origin in any physical or meta physical law that we know or don't know of.

That's an arbitrary and unjustified restriction on the meaning of "random". Any event that occurred would have, of necessity, had its origins in some physical (or "meta-physical") law, possibly even one that we do know of now.

Meaning, if you were to argue it was random you will end up with questions why did it happen?

What's the problem with that? It may even be possible that there are no answers to "why did it happen"... and there is still nothing wrong with the fact that it raises the question in the first place.

The act of creating the laws in the universe had to be a choice made by someone with the ability to choose simply because that is the only viable option.

You are assuming that the laws of the universe were created, rather than being simply inherent in existence.

In other words... who created God?

Especially since the laws of physics were not existing, as RSFM stated "...The Big Bang... universe had a beginning"

Putting words into my mouth again. I never said the words "the universe had a beginning". What I did say is that "this unverse has not existed in its present form forever" - in other words, it may have existed in some other form before the Big Bang. It's possible it did not have a beginning.

Then we speak of O. Razor, do we follow the line of Cause and Effect or do we invent a multi universe that only moves the question backwards a.k.a infinite regression? Let us jump straight to the source, the cause of the first effect transcend any event that happened after it.

What I proposed was a larger existence that itself simply "is" - it has no beginning, it's just the fabric of reality. It is out of that larger existence that our known universe had its first cause - a completely random, uncaused event that started a causal chain that has led to our existence.

I'm aware that this idea might sound like "God" to you... but there's a huge difference: I do not ascribe any properties to this larger existence other than that it is reflected in our own physical reality at the quantum level. I do not claim that it is "vastly powerful, organized, sentient, personal" or anything else.

The rule of causation is violated by your suggestion - what is the origin of that "someone or something that knew what they were doing"?

The evidence suggests that the "rule of Causation" may not apply at the quantum level - which is where our universe must have originated.

They appear to be finely tuned, because if they were anything different we would not be here to observe them. It is a false conclusion that they actually are finely tuned.

And what created that someone or something? I prefer the explanation that the evidence suggests: a quantum event led to the spontaneous creation of equal and opposite amounts of positive and negative energy, which then cooled into matter, accreted due to gravity, began to fuse into higher elements, eventually organized into more complex molecules, etc.

4) As it is highly unreasonable to assume that something inorganic can create life due to Pasteur's Germ theory and Spontaneous generation, it is probable that whatever caused the first effect to be alive. Thus the statement "Life begets Life" is established. Life have always existed and will always exist in one form or the other, just like energy.

You are misapplying Pasteur's Germ Theory. That theory states that organisms cannot spring into existence fully formed. It says nothing about the gradual organization of simple molecules into more complex molecules that eventually develop the characteristics we ascribe to "life" - consumption, reproduction, response to stimuli, adaptation, etc.

You continue to make the unsupported assumption that we were created - but even if we were, it would still have been possible that we could have been created without purpose and intent, and that we developed sentience and reasoning without intention and purpose.

One assumption is definitely not as good as the next. My hypothesis that there is a fabric of existence from which our Universe had its origin is a single assumption. Your assumption, on the other hand, is actually at least 4 assumptions:  that there is some existence outside of our Universe, that there is a "vastly powerful, organized, sentient" entity in that existence, that the entity chose to create our Universe, and that the entity chose to create humanity in this universe with intention and purpose.

The point was anyway to help you guys see that you are making religious statements to support your conjectures in order to support your pet theory of evolution.

You failed in that point... there is nothing religious in my statements.

Glad you finally admitted that the first effect did have a cause, and thus you have invalidated your atheism.

Absolutely incorrect... go back and read what I wrote again.

Maybe you did not understand what it was you were doing when you did it but be honest with yourself. =) Keep thinking about this for the time to come and I'm sure you will have a change of paradigms.

I understand completely - and I've alrady "changed paradigms" once, I don't think I'm likely to do it again without the introduction of new evidence, which you haven't provided.

I do not believe I have all the answers, I just like to explore the options that we have.

And yet you ignore many options in favor of the one answer that you have already decided is correct.

If you believe mankind could evolve thinking abilities by themselves then you need to prove this otherwise it is more logical to think it was inherited by whoever made us. I can think because I'm human, I cannot think because my ancestors is believed to be "monkeys". Maybe you see the difference, it does make sense to me anyway.

Comparative neuroanatomy gives us a pretty clear picture of the evolution of our thinking ability. The exceptionally large and lateralized cerebrum that is unique to humans appears to be the root of our apparently unique ability to imagine and think critically.

Your ancestors were apes... and primates... and mammals... and animals. It's a fact, get over it.

"A denial of evolution - however motivated - is a denial of evidence, a retreat from reason to ignorance." - Dr. Tim D. White

IP Logged

MajorAtheist

Seek Truth!

Reply #125 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 10:38pm

GoodScienceForYou wrote on Feb 17th, 2010 at 12:09pm:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Apparently you are opposed to the law of Karma?  Which is a law of physics.  "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

In other words we punish ourselves by our actions. If you want to stop punishing yourself, you need guidance on how to stop that.

7/ If you want the truth, then seek that instead of your f**ked up beliefs and projecting those on the world.

8/ If you want to be free, be free and stop taking on other people's beliefs, and allowing them to own you.

Apparently you are not aware of the effect of fear and the role it plays in controlling your beliefs!

If you want to be free, lose your fear......especially your fear of God! But until you lose those fears, you will always be controlled by them!

IP Logged

GoodScienceForYou
YaBB Administrator

until it is obvious

United States
Reply #126 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 10:09pm

MajorAtheist wrote on Feb 17th, 2010 at 10:38pm:
GoodScienceForYou wrote on Feb 17th, 2010 at 12:09pm:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Apparently you are not aware of the effect of fear and the role it plays in controlling your beliefs!

If you want to be free, lose your fear......especially your fear of God! But until you lose those fears, you will always be controlled by them!

The only fear I have is that I might lose my wife before I go.

That would be extremely painful.

I don't fear jail, prison death, war, or any of that.  I certainly don't fear the truth as you do.  I don't fear humiliation, been there done that.  It was one of the best experiences you can have.

What fears do you have if you were to open your mind up to the truth?

IP Logged

Mac23
YaBB Newbies

Seek Truth!

Reply #127 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 6:41am

GoodScienceForYou, I understand perfectly why some of your points have a tint of frustration in them. I give you kudos for keeping up with people with strange faiths, I enjoy what you have to teach me, I will be skeptical but open minded but my aim is to learn as much as I can and process it and analyze it from every point that I can think of. I have already seen trough the flaws of evolution and for many of the things I do believe I accept and understand that they are faith. This I did in primary school. I have also experienced the power of brainwashing first hand, I broke free from it after a period of 10 years of depression, gave me time to think. I can only surmise after my discussions with various atheists that they often do not think of the consequences or the implications of their faith. Many do not even realize that noted atheistic philosophers have already admitted to the fact that atheism is a religion just like any other religion. One quick look at the dictionary is evident of that, oh I must press on the fact that you CANNOT cherry pick your definitions. (Directed to the atheists we are discussing these things with.)

One atheist I spoke with (on youtube) said that it is impossible to understand evolution unless you had some education in it. He himself had no education in it and thus had accepted it on blind faith. That is exactly the point I was trying to make, yet he then made an appeal to authority, you know how it goes. "Every scientists in every field agree with evolution" if I can point out one scientist his premise is proven false. Another turned the discussion around and started questioning me about what he called absurdity of the great Deluge. I asked all atheists that believe in evolution (Newsflash not all Atheists accept evolution, some have actually thought about it for awhile Tongue ) if they had any evidence of Macro Evolution, we ended up calling it "SuperMacroEvolution" just to differ from what we can observe to what they conjecture into the fossil records, walking whales to killer whales etc etc. I have yet to meet an evolutionist who really understand why they believe what they believe, or to realize that it is nothing but conjectures.

So then, I do not mean to be patronizing or intend to insult anyone, perhaps it is true that I have misunderstood something? If so I apologize I just have not seen any good arguments against my own faith and I'm open to every possibility.

According to Websters dictionary atheism is either the disbelief of gods (weak atheism) or the doctrine that there is no god (strong atheism) it is thus either a blind faith that there is no god, or the claim that there is no god (this claim must be proven). As I have said several times over and over again.

I do believe in God because of Cause and Effect, is it a wrong conclusion of the facts we observe? If so, why? The atheist is convinced that the first cause was caused, I would have to disagree with them. Even those we talk with here, Major Atheist and RealScience, express in not so many words that the first cause can be unaware or not thinking, but then the question will arise what caused it? You need an outside power to influence an object in stasis, if you do not have an outside power it will never ever move. So the Big Bang must have been caused by an outside power, but perhaps my brain capacity is extremely limited?

Now if this outside power is material, how then could it affect material matters if ALL material matters were at one singularity? That would mean that the Material that did affect the singularity was the singularity and thus it caused itself? But that as we know is impossible, as we DO need an outside power.

So according to observations, the outside power cannot be physical or part of this universe or part of any universe that has been created or caused by the Big Bang or any similar event that happened x amount of time in the past. No object can create itself. Einstein spake about the time-space, so then the conclusion is that before the Big Bang time did not exist as space did not exist, they speculate that time stands still at black holes due to gravity and density, how much higher must it be then if ALL matter in the entire universe were condensed into a DOT? How did matter suddenly escape this tremendous amount of gravitational pull, where did the energy come from? Did it cause itself? If the cause was material how much power must it have had to withstand not being pulled into the singularity and conform to it?

Is it then hard to believe or to conclude then that the power that affected the material is also outside time? Then we have a power that is Immaterial and Timeless, it further had to be aware of what the power was doing, thus it had to be Conscious. Else we end up at infinite regression again. Does any of what I'm saying make any sense to any of you?

Perhaps we should prescribe a 10 year thinking break for every atheist in the world? =)

Anyway, sorry for writing a book here..

God bless you guys =)

IP Logged

RealScienceForMe
YaBB Newbies

Seek Truth!

Reply #128 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 12:56pm

Mac23 wrote on Feb 19th, 2010 at 6:41am:
you CANNOT cherry pick your definitions. (Directed to the atheists we are discussing these things with.)

You were the one who cited Webster's, sorry if the actual Webster's definition disagrees with your definition.

According to Websters dictionary atheism is either the disbelief of gods (weak atheism) or the doctrine that there is no god (strong atheism) it is thus either a blind faith that there is no god, or the claim that there is no god (this claim must be proven).

No, you're not allowed to change the definition. Let's go back to the actual Webster's definition:

Quote:
Main Entry: athe·ism
Pronunciation: \ˈā-thē-ˌi-zəm\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French athéisme, from athée atheist, from Greek atheos godless, from a- + theos god
Date: 1546

1 archaic : ungodliness, wickedness
2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity

There is nothing about "blind faith" in there. There is also nothing about "weak" or "strong" atheism, but I do accept your assignment of "weak" to 2 a, and "strong" to 2 b. To say that "weak" atheism is "a blind faith that there is no god" changes it to "strong" atheism. There is no faith involved in "weak" atheism, there is only a lack of faith that a god does exist.

Even those we talk with here, Major Atheist and RealScience, express in not so many words that the first cause can be unaware or not thinking, but then the question will arise what caused it?

Nothing. It was an uncaused cause.

You hypothesize an aware, thinking cause, but then the question will arise, what caused it?

You need an outside power to influence an object in stasis, if you do not have an outside power it will never ever move.

In Newtonian mechanics, this is true. Not necessarily so in quantum mechanics.

So the Big Bang must have been caused by an outside power

Maybe it was... but maybe that outside power had no cause.

the outside power cannot be physical or part of this universe or part of any universe that has been created or caused by the Big Bang

Any part of this known universe, true.

or any similar event that happened x amount of time in the past.

If we accept the postulate that time is a feature of the known universe, true...

Is it then hard to believe or to conclude then that the power that affected the material is also outside time?

So far so good...

Then we have a power that is Immaterial and Timeless, it further had to be aware of what the power was doing, thus it had to be Conscious.

Nope, there you lost me. That's a completely unsupported assumption.

Else we end up at infinite regression again. Does any of what I'm saying make any sense to any of you?

Even if your assumption were valid, there is still an infinite regression - what caused the power to exist, be aware, and be conscious?

In quantum mechanics (warning, severe oversimplification follows), we predict the existence of a "fabric" of space-time. At the quantum level - the smallest measurable distance and amount of time - we predict the completely random creation of equal and opposite amounts of positive and negative energy. Usually these amounts immediately collapse and cancel each other out. Occasionally, enough energy is created that they expand and persist - creating a universe such as ours.

No aware and/or conscious power needed.

As for that "fabric" - I guess I agree that something "immaterial and timeless" must exist... either that or the known universe itself has existed forever, and the Big Bang was the expansion following a previous "Big Crunch" - but as the expansion of the universe appears to be accelerating, it doesn't seem that a Big Crunch is likely. I simply disagree with your assumptions that such an existence must be aware, conscious, or possessing of any other attribute one might normally ascribe to humanity.

Furthermore, even if it is a "God", I see no credible evidence of that god interacting with his creation - and especially not at a personal level.

Perhaps we should prescribe a 10 year thinking break for every atheist in the world? =)

Yes, if we stopped thinking it's likely we would revert to being superstitious, gullible, mindless religionists.

I'd rather we prescribe 10 years of education for everyone - including atheists. Maybe if more people understood the basics of science, we wouldn't be having these stupid debates.

"A denial of evolution - however motivated - is a denial of evidence, a retreat from reason to ignorance." - Dr. Tim D. White

IP Logged

Mac23
YaBB Newbies

Seek Truth!

Reply #129 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 3:16pm

Oh I don't find these debates to be stupid, just frustrating when they end up in circles.

"Maybe it was... but maybe that outside power had no cause."

This statement of yours I agree with. The outside power had no cause. Infinite regression is a logical fallacy you will always come to the point where something had to exist forever. This something had to have the ability to manipulate matter, even create matter from energy. As the law goes Energy cannot be created or destroyed as far as we as humans have observed.

Just a question for you, how would you explain or state your lack of belief in a god? Would you say I don't believe in god? Would you argue that you know there is no god or would you argue you don't know there is no god? Perhaps atheism is rather they don't care about the existence of god or gods at all? Do you believe your statement that you don't believe in gods? The way I see it and the way I understand it is that you have made up your mind in the event that you don't believe in god and that you do believe the statement to be true based on a lack of evidence for the existence and even the non existence of god, you make no claim to have the evidence thus you simply don't know and thus based on the fact that you do not know you make the personal statement of belief that your observation skills are sufficient enough to determine that there is no god. As soon as you put in belief in any statement you make means it is a religious statement. Thus you make a religious statement that there is no gods based on your lack of knowledge. It is an honest statement but it is and will remain a religious statement. Thus we can say you have a blind faith in your belief that there is no god. Anyway, this is the last I will say about this, I could be wrong of course, I don't have a blind faith in my statement about this, I keep it open. Disbelief or belief is not a scientific statement, you don't believe it to be true does not mean it is false for example, it may just mean you are arguing out of ignorance. Thus if you do argue out of ignorance you do have a blind faith, as faith is defined as a belief based on evidence. Since we do not know all the pieces of evidence we have to make a statement other than "I don't know" is a non scientific statement. I hope you understand what I'm saying? You should dwell a little on what the term "disbelief" means.

Much of what you stated in your post I simply do not agree with because it is based on wrong premises. Such as the mentioned randomness that is believed by many evolutionists to be true, I'm sure many theists also believes this. A few years back I pondered the thought and I saw that not even in math does random exist, it may exist as an abstract term but as soon as you pen it down on paper and add parameters to it it is no longer random. A computer could never for example explain what random is as you assign parameters to it.

Even if we don't know what causes an event to happen does not mean it is not caused. No event can create itself. No event can be non caused.

Your statement "Who created God" is a logical fallacy. As God is defined as the First Cause.

To state that the First Cause was caused is a logical fallacy. To say the First event was not caused is equally  logical fallacy.

To even say that something random happened that caused the first event is also a logical fallacy. To state that the laws of the universe have always existed may not be a logical fallacy if your a theist but it most assuredly is if your an atheist. For it begs the question why are they there if the universe did not exist, what reason do they exist for random reasons is no reason at all. Intention and purpose. The Laws you state are a Cause to Effects, but Laws cannot manipulate something that does not exist.

I agree with your statement that because of the accelerating universe the Big Crunch is unlikely. We just need to work on the statement that the First cause could be random or unaware.

There is by the way no difference between the First Cause and the Ultimate Cause. So if you believe the First Event was caused then you do believe in a First Cause or an Ultimate Cause. The First cause cannot be caused either for that means the first event was not the first event and infinite regression.. why is it difficult for you guys to admit or see that there had to be an Uncaused Cause to the First Event?

QM is not a proven science it is highly theoretical. Are you a QM scientist? If not you should perhaps use the defining therm of "Them" and "They" instead of we.

Anyway, cheers guys.

Keep up the good work GSFY!

IP Logged

RealScienceForMe
YaBB Newbies

Seek Truth!

Reply #130 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 4:19pm

Mac23 wrote on Feb 19th, 2010 at 3:16pm:
This something had to have the ability to manipulate matter, even create matter from energy. As the law goes Energy cannot be created or destroyed as far as we as humans have observed.

According to QM, equal and opposite amounts of energy can be - and were - created spontaneously, completely randomly. Because an equal amount of positive and negative energy are created, no net energy is created, thus the Law of Conservation is not violated. As the energy "cooled" it became matter. We know positive matter and energy exist, as they are all around us. Evidence of the existence of dark matter has been found, giving this explanation significant credibility.

Just a question for you, how would you explain or state your lack of belief in a god?

I was raised in the Methodist (Christian) faith. Through extensive study of both the Bible and the natural world, I came to the conclusion that the Bible contradicts both itself and observable reality, and thus cannot be the pure Word of God - and thus placing significant doubt in my mind as to the existence of the Judeo-Christian God. With further study it became obvious that the Bible fit more with the origin mythologies of ancient cultures, and that just like every other mythology, the Judeo-Christian God is an invention of man.

It would be fair to say that I disbelieve (i.e. "strong" atheism) in every God described by every religion known to Man.

That being said, I follow the evidence where it leads... and while there is evidence that the Gods of Man do not exist, and there is no compelling evidence to lead me to the conclusion that a god or gods definitely do exist, there is also not yet compelling evidence to lead me to the conclusion that a god or gods definitely do not exist - and thus I maintain the position of "weak" atheism. Additionally, I can state that the evidence so far suggests that if a God exists, it is a non-personal, non-involved God, and as such I see no point in assuming the existence of such a God, as any worhip or whatever that I offered to it would be completely ignored.

Thus we can say you have a blind faith in your belief that there is no god.

No, my disbelief in the gods of man is based on evidence - specifically, that the positive claims made by each religion have been disproven - and not on blind faith. My lack of belief in a deistic god follows from Occam's Razor - the explanation that makes the fewest unsupported assumptions is the most likely. Given no evidence for the existence of a God, the assumption that there is a God is unsupported. If evidence of a God is ever found, my position will have to change.

Your statement "Who created God" is a logical fallacy. As God is defined as the First Cause.

That's a fairly loose definition of God... but your insistence that God is the First Cause is itself a logical fallacy, specifically Special Pleading.

To even say that something random happened that caused the first event is also a logical fallacy.

No, it's not a logical fallacy. It is a violation of one of your premises - that true randomness cannot occur - but your premise might be wrong.

As to whether true randomness can occur, we might have to agree to disagree. To me, the evidence suggests that true randomness can - and does - occur at the quantum level (for example, the radioactive decay of an unstable atom).

To state that the laws of the universe have always existed may not be a logical fallacy if your a theist but it most assuredly is if your an atheist.

The Laws (as we know them) most certainly broke down at the singularity we call the Big Bang. There is no way of knowing if they existed before that point. Either way, it is still not a logical fallacy, only a violation of a premise that may or may not be true.

For it begs the question why are they there if the universe did not exist, what reason do they exist for random reasons is no reason at all. Intention and purpose. The Laws you state are a Cause to Effects, but Laws cannot manipulate something that does not exist.

Laws are descriptions of commonalities among observations, they do not actually "do" anything. It's entirely possible that some Laws are simply intrinsic properties of existence.

By the way, "begging the question" actually is a logical fallacy... but stating that the laws of nature have always existed does not commit this fallacy.

why is it difficult for you guys to admit or see that there had to be an Uncaused Cause to the First Event?

Go and read my posts again... I've said repeatedly that there must have been an uncaused cause to the first event. I just disagree with your assumption that the cause could not have been completely random, and must have been an aware, conscious, thinking, organized entity - who was itself not caused - who knowingly and deliberately caused the first event.

QM is not a proven science it is highly theoretical. Are you a QM scientist? If not you should perhaps use the defining therm of "Them" and "They" instead of we.

QM has been validated in a great many areas, and remains theorietical in many others. I am not strictly a QM scientist, but I am a scientist and as such do encroach on the real of QM from time to time in my work. While it is true that I did not propose that specific hypothesis, it seems plausible to me, and so I tentatively accept it pending new evidence.

IP Logged

MajorAtheist

Seek Truth!

Reply #131 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 4:52pm

If so I apologize I just have not seen any good arguments against my own faith and I'm open to every possibility.

What about the possibilities that would get you punished?

For example:
If you believed 2+2=5 and I proved 2+2=4, then you could believe me without hesitation.  Changing your beliefs is how you learn.

But, let's pretend you believe 2+2=5 and if you don't, a God will punish you.   So, if I prove you wrong, then could you believe me at all?  In this case, believing the truth(2+2=4) would get you punished by your own God.

So, you may have an open mind when it comes to exploring your beliefs that have nothing to do with your God, but when it comes to exploring your beliefs within the realm of your God, there is no way you can have an open mind.  There is punishment for not believing in him.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print